Intralase from Herzing

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Intralase from Herzing

Postby arya6000 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:32 pm

Hello

I have been looking around for a good surgeon for some time now, I have been to [two local] eye institute[s]. I am scheduled for surgery at [one] on July 31.

[The doctor I selected] is the most expensive one, they charge $3000 for each eye, and they also said that I would be a good candidate for Intralase. Has anyone heard of [this doctor]? I just want to make sure he is good

After doing some reading I feel more comfortable with PRK, all doctors recommend Lasik to me. Is there any advantages to Lasik instead of just the recovering time and pain?

I might also become a pilot, can the flap get in the way?

Thank You

Note: Post edited to remove name of clinics.
arya6000

Re: Intralase from Herzing

Postby JPD » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:52 pm

arya6000 wrote:Hello

I have been looking around for a good surgeon for some time now, I have been to [two local] eye institute. I am scheduled for surgery at [one] on July 31.

[The doctor I selected] is the most expensive one, they charge $3000 for each eye, and they also said that I would be a good candidate for Intralase. Has anyone heard of [this doctor]? I just want to make sure he is good

I haven't heard of him, so I can't tell you anything regarding that. Keep researching the guy.

I can tell you that Glenn, the moderator of this site, doesn't allow the specific discussion and use of names for any doctors or their vision centers. So he may edit this post and remove the name of the doctor you've listed.

arya6000 wrote:After doing some reading I feel more comfortable with PRK, all doctors recommend Lasik to me. Is there any advantages to Lasik instead of just the recovering time and pain?

Not really. That's pretty much the only lasik advantage. If you're willing to deal with the pain and slower healing, then PRK/Lasek/Epi-Lasik is a better choice in the long run. Anytime a patient is uncomfortabale with the Lasik flap, a good doctor should openly entertain the idea of performing a surface ablation. Maybe you need to get additional consultations from some other doctors.

arya6000 wrote:I might also become a pilot, can the flap get in the way?

If you're talking about being a military fighter pilot, then yes, I believe Lasik will disqualify you in the eyes of the miltary to become a military pilot. PRK is acceptable.

If you talking about just getting your own civilian pilots license, then Lasik shouldn't be any problem.

Note: Post edited to remove name of clinics.
JPD

Postby arya6000 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:34 pm

Thanks for you quick reply

I'm going to talk to my doctor to see if I can get PRK,

I have seen some PRK videos on Youtube and some of them use something motorized to polish the cornea, than they apply the laser and others use something like a ring that pushes on the eye than they use the laser. Are these both the same kind of PRK or are they named differently? and which one is more common?

Thank You
arya6000

Postby JPD » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:31 am

arya6000 wrote:I have seen some PRK videos on Youtube and some of them use something motorized to polish the cornea, than they apply the laser and others use something like a ring that pushes on the eye than they use the laser. Are these both the same kind of PRK or are they named differently? and which one is more common?

Thank You

The first one is PRK, the second one sounds maybe like Epi-Lasik, not sure. All surface ablations are essentially the same thing. PRK/Lasek/Epi-Lasik are all slightly different ways of doing the exact same thing. All of them could be called PRK as well. Just tell your doctor you're more comfortable with a surface ablation. He'll perform one of three procedures listed above.
JPD

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:23 pm

All branches of the US military allow pilots of all types, including fighter pilots, to have a surface ablation technique like PRK, LASEK, or Epi-Lasik. The US military recently decided general military and fighter pilots may have All-Laser Lasik.

The advantage of PRK, LASEK or Epi-Lasik is there is no Lasik flap. No flap means no possibility of a Lasik flap complication during surgery or at any time in the patient's life. Even though the probability of a Lasik flap complication is relatively low, no possibility is almost always better than low probability.

Some doctors use a brush very similar to an electric toothbrush that rotates small bristles to remove the soft pliable outermost layer of corneal cells to prepare the eye for PRK.

We have a detailed description with videos of PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, Lasik, and All-Laser Lasik.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It