Decided not to have lasik - PRK instead. Docs seem surprised

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Decided not to have lasik - PRK instead. Docs seem surprised

Postby epthorn » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:38 am

After reading a lot of info on this site, a few 'horror sites' (just for balance!) and emailing my doc, I've decided not to get lasik because of the danger of later flap complications resulting from trauma. Among other things I play racquetball and train in martial arts. I then decided to go with PRK on the same date that I had the lasik performed. Interestingly, everyone in the laser offices that learns I'm having PRK in lieu of lasik asks "why?" almost as an accusation. Nothing on the websites or brochures mentions alternative procedures prominently- appears that PRK is definitely a secondary choice to the docs to lasik (maybe because of marketing WOW factor) Seems strange to me... even though I know such complications in lasik are rare, I prefer peace of mind. I really was interested in the people who indicated that they loved having lasik in the short term but later on thought prk would have been a better choice.

Unfortunately this means I'm starting vit. C only three days out and am probably going to be functionally blind for a few days (both eyes at once). I'm okay with that, but hope to be back at work in 3-7 days and be able to drive in 2-3 weeks. Travel out of the region means I can't really delay the surgery and still have it anytime soon.

Thanks for the info on this site; hopefully next week I will be recovering from the PRK and able to see a monitor (having it done on thursday after two sets of tests... at least all those tests hopefully mean they know what they're doing!) and can report how it went in the other forum.
epthorn

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:29 am

Some doctors have adopted PRK or its cousins LASEK and Epi-Lasik as the procedure of choice, but the vast majority of laser-assisted vision correction surgery is Lasik. Lasik is virtually painless, normally provides very fast vision recovery, and it is what everyone's friend had.

I like to say that for the first few weeks you will wish you had Lasik, but you will be glad you had PRK every day thereafter.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby lvziggy » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:39 pm

e-

Don't let anyone make you question yourself about having PRK instead of lasik. It sounds like you've done a lot of research and came to the same conclusion I did. The first few weeks after I had PRK were a roller coaster, but I was expecting that (thanks to reading this forum!) so it didn't really bother me. Now that I'm pretty much healed up I'm thrilled with my results as far as how well I can see, plus the fact that I don't have any problems with dry eye or my night vision. And, the fact that I don't have a flap to worry about is a bonus!

In the long run I think PRK is definitely the way to go.

Best of luck with your procedure! Let us know how it goes.

~Alison
lvziggy

Postby JPD » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:11 am

LasikExpert wrote:I like to say that for the first few weeks you will wish you had Lasik, but you will be glad you had PRK every day thereafter.

Why do you feel that way? Just for piece of mind, or do you think their is a significant difference when it comes to complication rates?
JPD

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:38 am

Peace of mind.

The rate of Lasik flap related complicatons is really very low by medical standards, but I like impossible better.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby JPD » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:18 am

LasikExpert wrote:Peace of mind.

The rate of Lasik flap related complicatons is really very low by medical standards, but I like impossible better.

I hear ya. I'd do PRK or Lasek if I had to do it over again. Pretty much for that reason, Peace of mind.
JPD

Postby epthorn » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:44 am

Well, had the PRK done today, both eyes. Can see fine right now, but I anticipate it will get worse over the next few days before it gets better. Moderate discomfort/pain and lots of tearing. No surprises.
epthorn

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:54 am

I see you posted in the Just Had It section. We can follow your progress there!
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby bathory313 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:02 pm

After reading a lot of info on this site, a few 'horror sites'

........after a bit of research, I found out that one of those 'horror sites' is run by attorneys who specialize in suing LASIK docs, and another of them is run by one frustrated patient........and that last site I found to be a 'the sky is falling' type of site; much of his alleged 'facts' were skewed, and on a lot of them he had no links or back-up to his inflammatory statements.

Yes, you have to be careful, and you must educate yourself. But those sites ^ are more like tabloid-style sites, rather than hard facts.

See here:

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2007/2/prweb505637.htm

"Simple investigations of the sites and their sponsors reveals that all is false. The registered website owner never had a LASIK surgery and many times no such person even exists. There is no real address for this bogus person, nor real phone number and nor active e-mail. The whole site is a fabrication. Therefore the public is done an injustice. As long as these sites exist the public will not know whether what they read on the internet is true or not. The average person who does research will be fooled and make a wrong decision about LASIK."

See what I mean?
bathory313

Return to Thinking About It