Is this too much too ask?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Is this too much too ask?

Postby gmitran » Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:40 pm

What do you think about having these 5 questions in writing from doctor before going ahead w/ procedure?

1. Have you had a successful refractive surgery malpractice claim of greater than $30,000? Details on separate page if Yes.

2. Have you ever had malpractice insurance coverage denied?

3. Are you currently under investigation by the agency that provides the license that allows you to perform refractive surgery? Has this license ever been revoked, suspended, or otherwise restricted? Are you on any sort of license probation.

4. Have you ever had your Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) certification revoked, suspended, or otherwise restricted?

5. Is the laser and equipment (hardware and software) you will use for my surgery specifically approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the recommended procedure and intended parameters? If no, explain why it is not FDA approved and/or off-label use.

They're from the 50 FAQ. Of course, I ask others too but I want these 5 in writing.
gmitran

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:36 am

That is a start, but you have 45 more to go.

Visit our 50 Tough Questions For Your Doctor for a comprehensive list of questions to help evaluate a potential surgery.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby gmitran » Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:48 am

LasikExpert wrote:That is a start, but you have 45 more to go.

Visit our 50 Tough Questions For Your Doctor for a comprehensive list of questions to help evaluate a potential surgery.

I didn't mean to say I'd only ask these 5 questions. I'd just like to have these 5 answers in writing. Will I have problem getting them?
gmitran

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:01 pm

Sorry, I missed your meaning in your first post.

We consider these questions to be reasonable and that reasonable surgeons will provide prompt and accurate answers. If they do not, you may want to consider if this is a surgeon you wish to select.

Do provide the questions in advance so the doctor will have time to research and respond. We do not recommend a "pop quiz" to try to test the doctor's ability to answer questions on the spot, but allow the doctor and staff time to respond to each question fully.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It