Keloid Formers and LASIK

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Keloid Formers and LASIK

Postby harrydunn » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:12 am

Greetings--

First post. I am revisiting the idea of LASIK after being scared off a bit in the spring of 2006. After going in for my first visit, we had made an appointment for the actual procedure a week or so later. I was doing a little more research that same day and came across several websites informing me that keloid scar formers like myself should avoid any sort of LASIK procedure. For a greater understanding of keloid scarring is, feel free to Google it. I called them back and they said there was nothing to worry about and that the newest research says it is not a problem. I decided to hold off regardless to find out more. Fast forward fifteen months--my contacts have been driving me nuts lately so I am seeing them again in two weeks for another exam and to discuss any concerns I may have before proceeding further.

So, does anybody have any wisdom regarding this they would like to impart? I'm finding lots of info. saying 'don't do it' but not much saying it is okay. I feel a lot of the websites saying to stay away from it are using old info however.

Thanks!
harrydunn

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:48 pm

The wisdom today about Lasik and Keloid formers is about the same as it was in 2006...nothing that indicates there may be at an elevated risk for problems. That said, there is one case study (one patient) of a Keloid former who developed corneal scaring after Lasik. One person is not a study and it is possible the scaring was not caused by the patient being a Kloid former.
Last edited by LasikExpert on Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby harrydunn » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:55 pm

Got two other opinions and they all agreed it was perectly safe. Had the procedure one week ago and all is well. Thanks.
harrydunn

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:46 pm

Congratulations, and thanks for reporting back.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It