Would you go for the best?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Would you go for the best?

Postby harrydunn » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:53 am

Had my LASIK evaluation today and of course they were pushing me into the most expensive CustomVue IntraLasik procedure. I'm starting to think this may be the way to go regardless of the cost. I want the best I can get since I've only got the two eyes! Do most agree or are they just trying to get more money out of me...or both?!!

Thanks.
harrydunn

Postby NYguy » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:19 pm

Cost was not a consideration when I made my decision. I was not going to get frugal when it came to my eyes
NYguy

Postby HydeInFL » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:43 pm

I am a patient who hasn't even been through the surgery yet, so take my post for whatever it's worth to you... Here's my two cents...

If you felt "pushed", sort of like a car dealer experience, that is a red flag to me with anything, not just Lasik. For me, price would only be a tie breaker between two equally qualified surgeons with equal equipment and a similar experience with the staff.

The surgeon I have chosen had a completely different attitude about it. His office didn't offer options. They said that they only do Custom Lasik with Waveguide and use a Laser for the flap too.

If a patient wants to save money, he tells them to find another doctor because he feels that the the way he does it provides the best possible outcome and he only wants to do the best job for his patients.

His approach of being the Rolls Royce dealer saying "if you can't or don't want to afford my product, Chevrolet is right down the road" instilled a lot more confidence in my decision to use him than if he had shown me a Chevrolet first and tried to upsell to the Rolls Royce.

If you mess up and buy a lemon for a car, you lose a little money and that is all. You rent time from the wrong surgeon and you could lose something a lot more precious to you than money. I would not take the low bid on a surgeon who will be working on my eyes.
HydeInFL

Postby sere1 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:16 pm

I would say get a second opinion from someone. Some people really benefit from the CustomVue Intralase. Some people would have negligible, if any, benefits. I fall into the latter category. I went to two places, both of which recommended standard LASIK (no wavefront). One pushed for the intralase flap creation, but the only reason they could give me when I pressed was "We recommend it to all patients under the age of 25." That's a pretty crappy answer.

I went with microkeratome, no wavefront, and am perfectly happy. But this is something that really depends on the individual--and if you're not satisfied with their explanations, by all means get another opinion from a different doctor.
sere1

Postby houstonman » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:48 pm

I spent 6,000 and im 23... what does that tell u? Go for the best when it comes to your eyes or you will regret it!
houstonman

Postby harrydunn » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:54 pm

Went with Intralase CustomVue and have been very pleased thus far. I've got large pupils and the nighttime halos are a bit annoying but they are getting better each day even at the one-week mark. I got a 15% discount through my vision insurance and had a total bill of $3,551.
harrydunn

Return to Thinking About It