Light Sensitivity

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Light Sensitivity

Postby LightningJeff » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:00 pm

Had my LASIK consultation last week, and was told I was a good candidate for the surgery.
One question. Since I was a child, I seem to be more sensitive to bright light than the average person. For instance, sitting in the dentist chair, if they get the light slightly wrong, my eyes will water. Or on winter days with snow on the ground and the sun lower in the sky, it somewhat bothers me. Not debilitating, just a nuisance.
Will this surgery help the problem and/or cause it to be worse?
LightningJeff

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:03 pm

Lasik will not likely cause any change in your current sensitivity to light (photophobia), however there is an issue of which you should be aware.

All-Laser Lasik is when the Lasik flap is created with a femtosecond laser microkeratome instead of the conventional mechanical microkeratome. A relatively small percentage of patients who have All-Laser Lasik develop Transient Light Sensitivity Syndrome (TLSS) that causes extreme photophobia for several weeks. During this time use of very dark glasses, even indoors, may be necessary.

TLSS does disappate with healing.

The probability that you would develop TLSS after All-Laser Lasik is relatively small, but be aware of the potential problem and discuss this with your surgeon.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Remander » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:29 am

I had all-laser Lasik about one year ago in January 2007. I had light sensitivity for about 9 months, requiring sunglasses outside on even cloudy days for a few months. Early on, it was pretty severe. It eventually went away, and it was worth it in the end.

It has been almost one year, and I now consider my light sensitivity about normal.

Note: I had worn photogray or transition lenses for 25 years, so I was used to having sunglasses. That may have added to my adjustment time.
Remander

Return to Thinking About It