Best Laser?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Best Laser?

Postby beingbobbyorr » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:42 am

The word on the street seems to be that the best Lasik laser is the Allegretto. Yet, some "top Los Angeles" surgeons don't use it, opting for a Visx (sp?) or other make & model.

Is there really debate about the best laser? Or are these guys just waiting in line for their own Allegretto, and don't want to tell prospective revenue ... err, I mean patients ... to wait (when waiting = likely to go elsewhere)?

Is there a backlog on Allegretto machines? What does the market look like for the various makes & models?
beingbobbyorr

Postby DryEye » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:32 pm

A lot seem to use the LadarVison system (Ladar Vision's Custom Cornea vs VISX CustomVue)
Would like to hear more about this topic myself
DryEye

Best Laser

Postby an94 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:57 am

I consulted with the largest eye hospital in Boston and asked this same question. Their response was"We have every laser the FDA has approved and we use the Allegretto about 98% of the time,it is the best laser currently
available. In my opinion the reason the Allegretto is not so popular is that it has only been on the market in the US for a much shorter time than say the Visx Star 4. Also considering the cost of these lasers;how many Docs can afford to have more than one to choose from? I believe the Boston hospital because they have them all and can evaluate which is the better machine. Very few docs have this opportunity.
an94

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:05 am

I think even its competitors would acknowledge that the reason the Allegretto has a limited number of installations is because it has come so late to the party. The Allegretto manufacturer is being purchaed by a much larger concern. It is likely we will see more of this particular laser in the future.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby DryEye » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:36 pm

Why do they have Blend Zones?
I had CustomVue that apparently didn't get my astigmatism fully, brought me slightly into hyperopia and I think the blend zone is bothering me considering a couple of docs who saw me mentioned that they would widen the treatment zone.
I believe LadarVision was one of the machines mentioned for an enhancement.
Also, If one does get the treatment zone widened from initial lasik how would surface ablation make the treatment zone equally matched to what is underneath the flap (if one chose PRK over a flap) vs just lifting the flap to do the enhancement?
DryEye

Postby OptimusPrime » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:21 pm

I am in NYC and the market here seems to be somewhat split between the VISX S4 and the Allegretto. One doctor explained the most people are trained on the VISX so they tend to favor what they know.

On another level, the choice of laser could also reflect a physician's preference in the wavefront "customized" vs. "optimized" debate. I have heard that Wavelight also offers a customized product as well but I am not sure if that is only for the Eye-Q or for the older Allegretto as well.
OptimusPrime

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:21 am

All Allegretto WaveLight lasers have wavefront optimized ablation patterns and the newest version also has custom wavefront ablation. Read wavefront Lasik for details about the difference.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby kness2 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:42 am

When you mention the "newest version" having custom wavefront ablation, are you referring to the Allegretto 400mhz or the Concerto 500mhz?

I'm in India right now and they have a variety of lasers available. Can someone give me some information on which is the most advanced?

1. Zyoptix 100- seems to be older than the Allegretto
2. Mel 80 (Carl Zeiss)- has little information other than that the spot size is 70mm (same as Allegretto), but doesn't mention repetition speed. Apparently it ablates more tissue than the Allegretto, but am curious to know whether the software has been upgraded since then.
3. Allegretto 400mhz- has the most info on it.
4. Schwind Esiris- referred as the Rolls Royce of lasers on the site- but seems to use a different technology than the Allegretto.

I don't have easy access to the Allegretto where I am, so if the Mel 80 is good enough, I'll do it!

Kness
kness2

Return to Thinking About It