Pseudomyopia

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Pseudomyopia

Postby jmaronson » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:42 pm

I'm a 33 year old male working long hours in front of a computer.
I developed what I thought was a normal case of myopia and have been wearing glasses for several years, with a stable prescription (except for one slight change).

In my evaluation for LASIK, I was told by the doctor that I have pseudomyopia, which, to my understanding, is a type of spasm in the eye that prevents it from focusing at a distance (it's essentially locked into close focus, and cannot relax to focus at a distance). He determined this after dilating my eyes. (When my eyes were dilated, I could see better at long distances.) After the dilation went away, my vision returned to it's normal, myopic self.

The LASIK doctor -- who, by the way, is a very well-regarded surgeon in Boston who charges premium rates -- said that this condition does not preclude me from getting LASIK and that he could "work with it." Surgery is (tentatively) scheduled for 1/1/08.

My question for the experts in the group is whether there are particular risks that are heightened when LASIK is performed on pseudomyopic patients. Overcorrection, perhaps? And what would "overcorrection" mean for a case like mine? Other risks that are heightened for pseudomyopics?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
jmaronson

Return to Thinking About It