sbk (thin flap lasik) vs prk

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

sbk (thin flap lasik) vs prk

Postby dadoes » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:41 am

I'm planning on getting sbk and I've been doing a lot of research on whether to get sbk lasik or prk.

My main concern is with dry eyes and it seems to me that sbk and prk would be equivalent in terms of the amount of dry eye it produces.

This is because sbk cuts a flap (60-80 microns) that is basically just under the bowman's layer.

In prk, the laser has to ablate through the epithelium and bowman's layer to get to the layer (stroma) that needs sculpting. The epithelium is about 50 microns and the bowman's layer is about 8-12 microns for a max total of 62 microns.

So in terms of the amount of cornea that needs to be ablated, it would seem that sbk and prk are almost equivalent.

So with this additional information, the main advantage of prk vs sbk would be that no flap is created, but recovery times are still longer for prk.

I however, have a high prescription (7.50) so my chances of haze would be much higher with prk whereas there is no chance of haze with sbk.

Anybody want to comment on this, is my information correct?

Thanks,
Dave
dadoes

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:09 pm

Most surgeons apply Mitomycin C during PRK to virtually eliminate the probability of corneal haze after PRK for higher prescriptions. Mitomycin C is strong medicine that is probably best avoided when possible, but is appropriate when required.

The Lasik flap is both an advantage and a disadvantage. Without the Lasik flap (PRK) you have no possibility of a Lasik flap related problem during surgery or your lifetime. Even though Lasik flap problems are relatively rare, no possibility is almost always better than low probability.

Lasik/SBK will likely provide much faster vision recovery than PRK.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It