A few questions on Lasik procedure

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

A few questions on Lasik procedure

Postby cshen » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:41 am

I have gone to several consults regarding getting Lasik done. My eyes are healthy with about -6 myopia. Every doctor has something different to day. So, I am a little confused. Here are my questions.

1. Is Wavefront custom laser actually better? One doctor, who seems very sincere and crediable, says that it is a waste of money. He said that Wavefront claims that it is accurate to the 1/10000 level but the results are inconsistent between different readings (i.e., 2 consective readings 5 minutes apart can vary significantly). He does not recommend it. Instead, he recommends the traditional laser. Other doctors and online sources claim that Wavefront reduces halo effects. What is true?
2. Does the way the cornea cut actually matter. Most doctors appear to cut it from the ear side and allow the nasal passage side to stay intact and reduce potential for dry eyes. Another doctor claims that studies prove the cutting method really does not matter and even flipping from one side to the other can still damage the nerve from the nasal passage.
3. I read that algorithm used by LADARVISION was recalled by FDA. Why do doctors still use it? How significant is this?

Thank you.
cshen

Re: A few questions on Lasik procedure

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:37 pm

cshen wrote:1. Is Wavefront custom laser actually better?

Yes. As a general rule wavefront-guided custom Lasik induces fewer aberrations than convention laser ablation and results in a greater incident of vision equal to or better than vision before surgery with corrective lenses. It is not a waste of money, but it is also not for every person. Read our article about wavefront custom Lasik.

Unless a wavefront diagnostic is performed, there is no way anyone can tell you if wavefront-guided is required, recommended, unnecessary, or if you should not have any surgery of any kind.

cshen wrote:Other doctors and online sources claim that Wavefront reduces halo effects.

Not necessarily, and this is one of the reasons why custom wavefront-guided Lasik is not always best for all persons. Lasik halos tend to relate to less than perfect correction and/or the size of the fully corrected treatment zone when compared to the size of the naturally dilated pupil. If you have pupils that are significantly larger than the full treatment zone with wavefront, then you may be at an elevated risk of night vision problems.

If the treatment zone is larger than your naturally dilated pupils, then wavefront-guided would statistically have a higher probability of a good result...but again, not for every person's circumstances.

cshen wrote:2. Does the way the cornea cut actually matter. Most doctors appear to cut it from the ear side and allow the nasal passage side to stay intact and reduce potential for dry eyes.

It was generally believed that a nasal hinge reduced the incident and severity of Lasik induced dry eye compared to a superior hinge, however subsequent studies are less clear. What does seem to be true is that a thinner flap or no flap (PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik) is less likely to induced severe or long-term dry eye symptoms.

cshen wrote:3. I read that algorithm used by LADARVISION was recalled by FDA. Why do doctors still use it? How significant is this?

The algorithim (computer software only) for the LADARVision 6000 was recalled. All current Alcon LADARVision lasers use the 4000 algorithim. The 6000 is not used by any doctor as the software was removed by Alcon on all machines.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby padlom » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:44 pm

cshen,

sorry i just saw your post today.. i think u went to the same doctor as i did.. i live in los angeles.. can u please pm me the doctor's name? did u finally have the procedure yet?..

thanks..
padlom

Return to Thinking About It