Is this a problem?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Is this a problem?

Postby pallen » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:58 pm

First I want to say this site has been a great wealth of information on various surgerys. Keep it up!
I am going in for my pre-op eval in two weeks. In all the reading I have done, I see that if you have some pre-exisiting condition, that might kill the chances of surgery. I have a burn on one retnia from a too close flash gun ,, long story. I cant do eye charts becasue of a spot that blurs out letters using that eye.
My script is -1.75 in both eyes with a cyl of 250 (asitmatism). which is not that bad. Will this burn spot keep my from having a good procedural outcome?
Thanks for the help!
Peter
pallen

Postby cursorial » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:16 am

Hi Peter, I am by no means an expert, but I have been doing quite a bit of reading.

I think if you have a special condition, such as your retinal burn, you should go see a few different surgeons and see what they say.

From what I have read, technology could one day make the old eye-chart obsolete.http://www.allaboutvision.com/eye-exam/wavefront.htm I don't know how accurate that article is, or if wavefront is at this stage yet, but it does seem there is hope for you even if you can't read an eye chart, there may be ways around it.

As for your retinal damage, the retina is a different part of the eye than the cornea, so perhaps surgery is still possible. You may even have other contraindications that have nothing to do with your damaged retina that may make you unsuitable for surgery. The only way to find out for sure if it is suitable is to go see some surgeons! Good luck, and make sure you do plenty of research and let us know how you went.
cursorial

Return to Thinking About It