near sighted and far sighted

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

near sighted and far sighted

Postby GeneralPatientInquiry » Wed May 31, 2006 5:25 am

is it possible to have laser eye surgery for both near and far sided vision?
This post is a reprint of a previously requested inquiry received by USAEyes.org via email.
GeneralPatientInquiry

Postby LasikExpert » Wed May 31, 2006 5:27 am

Near vision (nearsighted, shortsighted) is called myopia. Far vision (farsighted, longsighted) is called hyperopia. These two refractive errors are mutually exclusive. You would have one or the other.

It is possible, albeit rare, that one eye is hyperopic and the other is myopic. Refractive surgery is unique to the individual eye, so it would be possible to have hyperopic surgery in one eye and myopic surgery in the other.

BTW, astigmatism is when the cornea is not spherical, like the top of a ball, but elliptical, like the back of a spoon.

At around age 40, most people become presbyopic. This is when the natural lens of the eye is no longer able to change focus from distance to near and reading glasses are required. Many people mistake presbyopia for hyperopia, but they are very different with different causes and different methods of correction.

If you could send me the numbers on your current prescription, I may be better able to assist you.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It