Some questions as I consider Lasik...Please help!

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Some questions as I consider Lasik...Please help!

Postby ryphoenix » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:21 pm

How do you guys start searching for good Lasik surgeons besides word of mouth? What are some phrases you type in to Google? I've read people are able to find "leading eye surgeons in the area" or some such, how did you find them? I am in San Diego btw if anyone want to PM specific doc. :)

I'm thinking about PRK or epi-lasik due to my thin cornea. I guess I will have to do 1 eye at a time since I can't afford to take a week or two off to recover, since I stare at a computer all day long at work. But I would be able to take a 3 or even 4 day weekend. How fast would I be able to drive and go back to work if I do 1 eye at a time?

I've read that I should space out my pre-op consultations at least 4 days apart due to dilation of the eyes needing time to restore. Is that accurate? Does the dilation effect the actual surgery? I've had a surgeon tell me that I can do Lasik on the same day as the consultation...

Does the Lasik place usually provide all the oral medicine and drops pre and post op, or is it out of pocket expense? I've read some of the medicine cost upwards to $750?? Dang that's pricey. Also, is there any other highly recommended medicine I should be taking pre-op besides Vitamin C?

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks for your help!
ryphoenix

Postby Remander » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:13 am

"Does the Lasik place usually provide all the oral medicine and drops pre and post op, or is it out of pocket expense? I've read some of the medicine cost upwards to $750?? Dang that's pricey."

Ask about inclusion of meds. I got some free samples of regular drops and some Rx stuff too, but also paid for some Rx drops and pills. I have Blue Cross that covered most of the price of the Rx, but none of it cost very much. OTC tear drops were $10 or so a box, and I went through a few boxes before I got off of them. It was all nowhere near $750. Maybe $200 or $300 total over the course of a year.

"Also, is there any other highly recommended medicine I should be taking pre-op besides Vitamin C?"

OTC Flax Seed Oil and “TheraTears Nutrition For Dry Eyes” (which made me burp fish taste, especially if not taken with a meal) are cheap. Perhaps Restasis (Rx) if your doc says so. These may help avoid dry eye. The Restasis was about $25 a box with insurance; they said it was over $120 if you pay cash. A box last a few weeks. It didn't do much for me, but I think the OTC stuff may have helped a bit.

That's my 2 cents. Good luck!

Here is a detailed history of my experience: http://www.usaeyes.org/ask-lasik-expert ... .php?t=820
Remander

Re: Some questions as I consider Lasik...Please help!

Postby LasikExpert » Thu May 22, 2008 9:59 pm

ryphoenix wrote:How do you guys start searching for good Lasik surgeons besides word of mouth? What are some phrases you type in to Google? I've read people are able to find "leading eye surgeons in the area" or some such, how did you find them? I am in San Diego btw if anyone want to PM specific doc. :)

Search for "Lasik doctor" plus

the name of the community (i.e. San Diego, La Jolla, North County)
your zip code
your area code and the first three digits of your phone number

There are several doctors with excellent reputations in San Diego, however none have been certified by our organization so I am unable to refer.

You should look at our 50 Tough Questions For Your Lasik Doctor
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It