LASIK after PRK?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

LASIK after PRK?

Postby milo » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:02 pm

Hi,

I just wonder if it is possible to have a LASIK surgery after PRK. Can you advice? Thanks
milo

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:40 am

A surface ablation technique like PRK removes the Bowman's Layer of the Cornea. This is a thin layer at the front of the cornea that is dense and stronger than the surrounding tissue. Some doctors feel that removing Bowmans would make a Lasik flap after PRK too unstable. While it is possible and it has been done, you will probably find most doctors only recommend another surface ablation technique like PRK, or LASEK after PRK.

Talk to your surgeon about this.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Glen, please clarify an issue... Lasik/PRK = PRK/Lasik

Postby Mr.UnPerfect » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:31 am

If SOME doctors do not like Lasik over PRK then why is it SOME doctors and you stated is a previous posts (see below) that PRK over Lasik is a good way to do an enhancement. Lasik over PRK = PRK over Lasik

QUOTE from Glenn......8-30-2007
The process of lifting the Lasik flap can cause epithelial ingrowth, plus surface ablation can realize the positive effects of a slightly more nuanced laser ablation.
Mr.UnPerfect

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:35 am

The procedures have different perceived advantages and disadvantages.

When PRK is performed, the Bowman's layer is removed. It is the opinion of some (not all) surgeons that with the Bowman's gone the creation and manipulation of the Lasik flap is less reliable.

PRK on the Lasik flap does not require Lasik flap manipulation.

Lasik, like nearly all surgery, is not performed exactly the same way by every surgeon. When I attend medical conferences I find that if you ask 10 surgeons how they perform Lasik you will get 11 answers, yet overall they each report good outcomes. The differences may not be significant, but the procedures are not identical.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It