Will I still need reading glasses? Is Allegretto the best?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Will I still need reading glasses? Is Allegretto the best?

Postby K. Nezz » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:39 am

I’ve worn glasses since grade school. I just recently gave contacts a 2nd try. My first try was 20 years ago with gas permeable hard lenses which were a disaster as they felt like a plank in my eyes. I’m 49 years of age. I have astigmatism in both eyes I’m near sighted. I can read without glasses but the astigmatism shakes up the image slightly but not enough to annoy me.
I am considering Lasik surgery and will be looking for someone who uses the Allegretto Wave as I hear it is the most accurate thing going.
My goal is to be able to both read and see distance without glasses. With my current use of contacts I decided to have one prescribed for distance and the other for reading. With this set up I do sacrifice some distance and some reading (reading – I’m unable to read fine print with this contact setup). In the past 6 months or more my contacts have been making my eyes blood red. I mean really – really red. I have since stopped wearing my contacts and began wearing my glasses again. My glasses are set up for distance only. When I read I look over them or take them off.
Recently, I’ve began got involved in target shooting sports. I discovered that with my monovision setup of my contacts I had trouble shooting. I could either see the target and the sights of the weapon would be a total blur or if I switched eyes the sights would be clear but the target would be a total blur. There is a technique that some shooters use (shooting with both eyes open). With my monvision contacts I couldn’t accomplish this technique. By chance I discovered that I could with my glasses set up for distance only. I include all of this as my shooting sport is also very important to the decision I make.
Contact Rx:
My current distance Rx is SPH -2.00 CYL -1.76 AX 90 BC.87 DIA 14.5 – I’m about the same in both eyes
My current reading RX is SPH -0.00 CYL -1.75 AX 90 BC 8.7 DIA 14.5 – I’m about the same in both eyes.
Is this enough information to make a general observation whether I will need reading glasses also after the surgery?
What are my chances of seeing well enough to see my targets and the sight on my handgun?
Is the Allegretto Wave currently the best technology to use for Lasik?
My apologies for being so long-winded. Thank you in advance.

Regards,
K. Nezz
K. Nezz

Re: Will I still need reading glasses? Is Allegretto the bes

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:48 pm

K. Nezz wrote:My goal is to be able to both read and see distance without glasses.

This is a noble goal, but an unreasonable expectation. Lasik does not cure presbyopia - the inability of the eye's internal lens to change shape and thereby focus on object near and distant.

You can have good distance vision. You can have good near vision. You can have monovision. You cannot have good distance vision and good near vision at age 49 with Lasik.

K. Nezz wrote:With my current use of contacts I decided to have one prescribed for distance and the other for reading. With this set up I do sacrifice some distance and some reading (reading – I’m unable to read fine print with this contact setup).

This is monovision. It is possible to target Lasik correction to replicate monovision. Monovision with Lasik can be very similar to monovision with contact lenses.

K. Nezz wrote:Recently, I’ve began got involved in target shooting sports. I discovered that with my monovision setup of my contacts I had trouble shooting.

When you have monovsion, it is often a good idea to have glasses made that provide full distance vision and full near vision. You can use these in those situations where excellent distance vision (target practice) is necessary or when excellent near vision (reading a book) is necessary.

K. Nezz wrote:My current distance Rx is...

Your myopia (nearsighted, shortsighted) is apparently perfect for near vision, but the astigmatism is high. Unfortunately this presents a challenge.

The physics of astigmatic correction with laser eye surgery cause an automatic myopic correction even if it is not desired. This coupling effect has a ratio of about 0.25 to 0.33 diopters of myopic correction for each 1.00 diopter of astigmatic correction.

If your target is full distance correction, the coupling effect is not a problem because you want to remove all of the myopia anyway. If your target is to remove astigmatism only, the coupling effect creates issues that are challenging to overcome.

Different lasers have different effective coupling responses. This is something to discuss with your doctor if you decide to have monvision correction or if you desire to remove only the astigmatism with laser surgery.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It