Can corneal topography detect thin spots?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Can corneal topography detect thin spots?

Postby dji411 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:38 pm

I went to my first lasik consult, the first test the technician did was a corneal topography. Based on the results of that test - the technician went and spoke to the optometrist - they said that a I have a thin spot in the center of my cornea and I would have to have PRK. They sent me home with a plan to treat dry eyes - refresh plus 4x per day, hot compresses, eye scrub and flax seed oil pill 2x per day. I go back this week to see how my eyes responded and to have the complete consultation which they said will take 1.5 hours to complete

Can they actually make this determination from this one test?

I plan on going to other places for a consult as well. I have one through my own optometrist's office but it is only a 15 minute consult so I suspect this one will be a quick eligibility test and a handoff to sales people.
dji411

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:39 pm

Topography creates a map of the bumps and valleys of your cornea, however advanced devices are able to determine the thickness of the cornea at multiple locations across the cornea.

It is common for a comanaging optometrist to provide on "screening" exams to determine if you are a possible candidate, but more extensive evaluations at the surgeon's office will help determine if you are actually a candidate.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby dji411 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:30 pm

I am going back tomorrow for a more comprehensive exam/testing. I was just curious if that one test could eliminate me as a Lasik candidate. I am not too concerned because the more I read/learn the more I am inclined to select PRK.

Thanks for providing such valuable information and a forum for all of us out here on this journey for better vision.
dji411

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:39 am

Thanks for the kind words.

It only takes one test to eliminate you, but it requires many tests to affirm that you are an appropriate candidate.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby dji411 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:55 am

Well I had the follow up after I completed dry eye treatment to the letter for two weeks but the cone shaped thin spot in the center of both corneas is still there. I don't have dry eye but they said sometimes it may cause this result on the topography.

Long story short I am not a candidate for any type of refractive surgery due to an increased risk of <can't remember the medical term>, permanent damage to the corneas and vision loss that could not be corrected with glasses.

Best of luck to everyone in your pursuit of better vision.
dji411

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:09 am

The term is keratoconus (naturally occurring) or ectasia (caused by vision correction surgery).

I'm sure you are disappointed that you are not a candidate, but congratulations on having selected eye care professionals who did the tests to determine that you are not a candidate and have saved you a potentially dreadful outcome.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It