GPC, thin corneas, and LASIK....

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

GPC, thin corneas, and LASIK....

Postby camilleb » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:48 pm

Hi everyone.

I have had Giant Papillary Conjunctivitis on and off for the last 3 months, and this means I have been finding it hard to wear my disposable contact lenses. I have had to resort to wearing my glasses more which I find very restrictive.

Thus I am very interested in LASIK so I visited the LASIK center here and they told me that my corneas are probably too thin for LASIK - 495 microns and 482 microns.

Also my pupils dilate to 8mm which is apparently quite large and adds further complications.

My question is, would this GPC have affected the thickness of my corneas? And the chromolux eyedrops I sporadically used to counter-act the GPC, would these have contributed to thin corneas?

If I wore my glasses solidly for say 3 months, to rid myself for good of the GPC, would it be worthwhile to have my eyes re-measured in the hope that the result was better?

My prescription is around -7.25 for both eyes.

Many thanks for any feedback anyone has :)
camilleb

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:38 pm

The published literature indicates that Giant Papillary Conjunctivitis (GPC) may reduce the thickness of the epithelium (soft pliable outer layer of the cornea), however the epithelium is not considered for corneal strength when calculating if Lasik or similar laser vision correction is appropriate.

You have the triangle of circumstances that indicate you are not a candidate for laser vision correction: thin corneas, large pupils, and high refractive error.

You may want to investigate phakic intraocular lenses (P-IOL) as an alternative, however no surgery should be performed until your GPC is fully resolved.[/list]
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It