monovision - Help!

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

monovision - Help!

Postby jrwpmw » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:41 am

I'm thinking about Monovision correction, just 3 questions and thank you in advance!
1) Rather then trying monovision with a contact, I was told that I could remove a lense from my reader and get 'about' the same results (remove lense from my dominant eye/right eye).
2) I'm offered two procedures for this, one using traditional methods (using a blade) the other being the newest that uses a Laser (ItraLase All Laser Lasik). The difference being that the Laser procedure is $300 more than the 'traditonal blade' procedure. Any advise here? It the laser worth the extra price?
3) I ride a motorcycle, and the potential loss of depth perception or issues driving at night worry me. Are those common side effets, are they typically big enough problems to be worried about? Any work around (maybe glasses for night driving)?
Thank you! I'm due to have this done next week, it's not cheap as you know (1,700 one eye laser, 1400 traditional) so I want to make the right decision! :?:
jrwpmw

Re: monovision - Help!

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:28 am

jrwpmw wrote:1) Rather then trying monovision with a contact, I was told that I could remove a lense from my reader and get 'about' the same results (remove lense from my dominant eye/right eye).

If you are currently 2.00 diopters myopic (nearsighted, shortsighted) or less and remove correction from hour nondominant eye and leave your dominant eye fully corrected by contact lenses, you will have the effect of monovision.

jrwpmw wrote:2) I'm offered two procedures for this, one using traditional methods (using a blade) the other being the newest that uses a Laser (ItraLase All Laser Lasik). The difference being that the Laser procedure is $300 more than the 'traditonal blade' procedure. Any advise here? It the laser worth the extra price?

In the long term there is likely very little difference in your outcome. The femtosecond laser is a bit more accurate in flap thickness, but this is not likely a concern unless you have thin corneas or a very thin flap is desired.

I highly recommend that you investigate the surface ablation techniques PRK, LASEK, or Epi-Lasik as an alternative to Lasik or All-Laser Lasik. The surface abltion techniques eliminate the Lasik flap and any possibility (even if the probability is low) of a Lasik flap related complication.

jrwpmw wrote:3) I ride a motorcycle, and the potential loss of depth perception or issues driving at night worry me. Are those common side effets, are they typically big enough problems to be worried about?

Loss of depth perception is common with monovision, however how it will affect you is an open question. Trying monovision with contact lenses will give you a real-world test of its advantages and limitations.

jrwpmw wrote:Any work around (maybe glasses for night driving)?

Exactly correct. A pair of glasses that provide you full distance vision to use when you need exceptional distance vision and depth perception is wise. Also, a pair of glasses that provide you the best near vision may be a good idea if you do a lot of reading. How much, if at all, you need glasses with monovision you will know after a contact lens trial.

You should also read our article on sudden presbyopia.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It