PRK on one eye and Lasik on the other?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

PRK on one eye and Lasik on the other?

Postby Tempted » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:31 am

I was told that I might have to do PRK because the cornea on one eye may not be thick enough for Lasik (around 530 microns). I'm -8.00 and -8.50. Not sure which eye has the thinnest cornea. So, my question is: would it be better and is it even possible to have PRK on one eye and Lasik on the other?

Thanks!
Tempted

Postby BAM17 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:42 pm

Yes. I just recently read an article by a woman who had that done....PRK in one eye, and Lasik in the other. Just keep in mind that the healing time will vary, as PRK heals differently from Lasik.
BAM17

Postby Tempted » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:38 am

Thanks for the response. I actually saw a video of lasik surgery on a different site, and it's scary. Even though PRK is said to be a longer and more painful recovery, it doesn't look as scary and people are saying it's safer in the long run. So, I'm even considering PRK on both eyes now.
Tempted

PRK vs Lasik

Postby epthorn » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:33 am

The chance of complications from lasik are relatively small. You face risks with PRK as well. That said, I went with PRK because of the possibility of flap-displacement (Judo, Karate, etc) so if you have that fear and are at a point in your employment etc where you can take some time off, PRK may be a good idea. My functional vision returned after less than a week, and I was driving a couple of days after that (though "good" vision took longer, and 20/20 only after 1.5months).

If you *can't* take off work, etc for more than a couple of days (for whatever reason) you probably shouldn't have any surgery done, since even lasik can have complications with healing that could result in a longer down-time. Be aware that PRK is generally a more painful recovery, however. Your friends will probably not like being around you at the time.
epthorn

Postby Tempted » Sat May 03, 2008 6:01 am

I understand PRK may require a longer healing time and I'm willing to take time off work. I mean if you're putting so much money into a surgery, why not take the time to recover? If you can afford the procedure, then you should be able to afford the time off if you plan for it carefully. Sometimes you have to compromise. Anyways, I just want what's best for my eyes in the long term. I'm not involved in any sports, but I read that PRK is safer due to no flap ... so that's why I'm considering it.
Tempted

Postby 6502programmer » Mon May 05, 2008 3:13 pm

I went with PRK for two reasons. First, as you mentioned, you have zero risk of flap-related complications when you're not making a flap. Second, there is *some* research that points to better long-term results for PRK over LASIK, particularly for cases where there is a higher correction.

There are some risks.. You do run a higher risk of corneal haze, which is why most PRK these days includes the immediate postoperative application of Mitomycin-C. It may take some time for the epithelium to "stick" to the new substrate. I suffered a couple tears that were exceedingly painful for a day, but had no lasting impact on recovery.

All in all, I regret nothing regarding my surgery, surgeon, or choice of procedure. I was willing to suffer for a week, and wait a little while for good vision, in exchange for the possibility of a better result and not having to worry about flap issues.
6502programmer

Postby Tempted » Tue May 06, 2008 2:26 am

6502programmer, what was your prescription before the surgery? How long before you could function normally: drive, work, etc.?

Thanks!
Tempted

Postby LasikExpert » Wed May 07, 2008 6:24 pm

6502programmer wrote:There are some risks.. You do run a higher risk of corneal haze, which is why most PRK these days includes the immediate postoperative application of Mitomycin-C.

A small clarification: Mitomycin C may be used postoperative to help resolve corneal haze that occurs due to disease, trauma, or surgery, but when used as a prophylactic to prevent corneal haze after PRK or similar laser eye correction, a very diluted amount is commonly applied with a special sponge as one of the steps during the surgery, rather than after.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It