Incomplete Lasik

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Incomplete Lasik

Postby donna » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:19 pm

I'm new to the forum - looking for guidance, or maybe just reassurance from anyone who may have had a similar incident. My vision is not too bad, -3.00 and -3.50. I really wanted to do this for convenience since I spend a log of time outside, doing gardening and getting dirty glasses or having them slip off. On April 4th, after many months of research, I was scheduled for Lasik, and was screened as an excellent candidate. I was so excited. No sooner had the procedure started, the surgeon stopped abruptly. He explained that the equipment had malfunctioned and that only a 1/3 flap was cut on my right eye (nothing had been done to the left). I went back the following day for a check-up and was informed that I needed to wait three months to heal before trying the LASIK again. At the one week check-up, he told me I might be better off going with the PRK. I'm not really keen on that because of the healing time, however, like everyone else, I have been listening to the FDA reports on LASIK. I go back on Friday for my one-month check. I have had no problems, but I'm curious about how LASIK or PRK might do on an eye that has already been cut. Wouldn't a cut on the right eye have to be exactly in the same place? I really want to have this done, but am starting to get cold feet and may just stick to glasses.
donna

Postby beingbobbyorr » Thu May 01, 2008 8:28 am

How was your flap done (or attempted): keratome or intralase? Sounds like the former, which makes you wonder why he didn't use intralase.
beingbobbyorr

Postby croanster » Thu May 01, 2008 12:02 pm

Personally, if there was a partial flap i would not consider anything other than a surface ablation like PRK. Even intralase is not precise enough to cut in exactly the same place so essentially, you'd end up with two flaps.

Go for prk... longer recovery time but safer especially in your case.
croanster

Postby LasikExpert » Wed May 07, 2008 11:07 pm

The most important consideration is your vision now. If you have no degradation in vision quality, then moving forward with laser vision correction surgery may be appropriate depending upon other issues. Incomplete flaps rarely have any more problems (or lack of problems) than a complete flap with the obvious exception that they cannot be used for Lasik.

PRK on the Lasik flap has become much more popular in recent years. This is undoubtedly due to the increased use of Mitomycin C to reduce the probability of corneal haze after PRK.

You are fortunate that your relatively low refractive error means that the amount of tissue that needs to be removed is relatively small, probably about 36-45 microns. Since Lasik flaps are about 100 microns deep, it is highly likely that the 1/3rd flap you have will not interfer with PRK.

It is possible for surgeons to cut another Lasik flap, but for many reasons PRK on the partial flap may be most appropriate type of surgery.

It is undoubtedly best for you at this time to decide not to decide what you want to do. Wait the requisite three months and then visit the issue again after your doctor has evaluated your condition at that time.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It