Eye surgery noticible a few years later.

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Eye surgery noticible a few years later.

Postby Snoopy3 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:04 am

Is there any laser surgery that after a few years isnt noticible any more. For example If I had PRK done and five years later I went to a eye surgeon that didnt know I had it done could he tell that I had it done.
Snoopy3

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:12 pm

This depends upon the amount of correction and the testing that is performed.

All laser vision correction requires the removal of corneal tissue. A small refractive error (prescription) requires a small amout of tissue removal. Large error requires more tissue removal. This removal changes the shape of the cornea, making it flatter in the center for myopic (nearsighted, shortsighted) correction and steeper in the center for hyperopic (farsighted, longsighted) correction.

Upon visual examination and after a standard manifest refraction (which is better, one or two?) it is likely that a small amount of error with PRK, LASEK, or Epi-Lasik would go unnoticed. If, however, a topographical map of the cornea is made then it is very likely that the flattening or steepening will be obvious.

The Lasik flap is commonly visible upon examination.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It