2 totally different dr. opionions!!! HELP!!!!

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

2 totally different dr. opionions!!! HELP!!!!

Postby susiek420 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:59 pm

I have 2 totally different opinions from 2 different Eye Drs.

About 2 weeks ago I went for my first LASIK consultation and the doctor (not the surgeon, an O.D. - actually the surgeon's brother) said that i am a perfect candidate for LASIK - my cornea was thick enough and my eyes (with astigmitism) were perfectly symmetricial. I was concerned that my eyes were dry so he ran a dryness test by putting strips in my eyes and said that they were fine. This place was running a summer special for $1776 for both eyes (traditional Lasik, not Custom - they do not offer Intralase).

In the meantime, i went to a free seminar at an eye place in the mall just to learn a little more about the procedure and they had a drawing and i won a FREE EYE! Their prices were significantly higher, about $1500 per eye, $2000 per eye w/ Custom vue and Intralase. So, now hearing that i could get the CustomVue and Intralase for about the same price (since i was getting 1 eye free), i made an appointment for a consultation at this place, went for my Orb and Wave Scan at the surgery center - which i didn't do at the first place- they just used a hand held device to take pics of my eye.

This dr. says that my eyes are not a candidate for ANY LASER PROCEDURES because they are too dry, the cornea is too thin, and they are very unsymmetricial!!!

This is the absolute opposite of what the first dr. said!!! I do not know what to believe!!!

My corneal thickness was 480something and 470something. Is this too thin?? My perscription is -3.0 and -3.25 w/ astigmitism in one eye of 1.75 i think.

He wants me to do a series of drops, supplements and adjust my diet and see if my next scans are better. He said that maybe i just was not out of my contacts long enough.

He also said that maybe i just was not looking straight at the machine! I remember having a hard time m=not moving my eyes. The tech told me not to look at the red dot but to look past it andi could not do this so i rmembe4r moving my eyes around a little trying not to look at the stupid red dot right in front of me!

I was planning to cancel my appointment w/ the first place and get the Custom done at the second place, but now he wants me to wait about a month and come back and get new scans to see if they improve.

I really do not want to wait. I am a teacher and i go back to school in less than a month and i wanted to get this done before i go back.

Does anyone have any ideas what i should do???? Please advise me!!

I know it seems like i should just run away screaming from the first place, but i know several people in my family and people that my dad works w/ who had it done there and are very happy. AARRGGHHH!
susiek420

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:42 pm

Wait.

If you don't wait to verify that your eyes are healthy and something goes wrong, you may never forgive yourself.

The paper strip test only measures tear volume, not near quality. The orbscan can reveal many irregularities that the prior exam may not have been able to see.

You may want to discuss the results from the second surgeon with the first and ask that the first run the same, more extensive, tests.

Your corneas are on the thin side, but might be appropriate for a surface ablation technique like PRK, LASEK, or Epi-Lasik...if healthy.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

symmetricial

Postby susiek420 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:14 pm

I just really don't understand how one picture could have shown my eyes to be symmetricial and the other picture to be totally unsymmetricial. Can your eyes be symmetricial one day and then 1 week later not? Both doctors showed me the pics and the pics looked totally different. Could i just have been not looking straight-on?

I really don't want to prolong the procedure till next summer if it would be fine to get it this summer.

I can only do it in the summer because i am a teacher.
susiek420

Re: symmetricial

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:44 pm

susiek420 wrote:I just really don't understand how one picture could have shown my eyes to be symmetricial and the other picture to be totally unsymmetricial.

Two different cameras looking at different things. The Orbscan provides a map of the front and back side of the cornea. It is important to look at the back side to determine if there is any irregularity that may indicate disease or contribute to a poor outcome.

susiek420 wrote:Can your eyes be symmetricial one day and then 1 week later not?

Not likely, unless affected by something like contact lenses, medications, etc.

susiek420 wrote:Both doctors showed me the pics and the pics looked totally different. Could i just have been not looking straight-on?

Yes, and this will provide a very different picture.

susiek420 wrote:I really don't want to prolong the procedure till next summer if it would be fine to get it this summer.

Of course, but the question is if it is fine to get it now.

susiek420 wrote:I can only do it in the summer because i am a teacher.

Holiday breaks may work too.
Last edited by LasikExpert on Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby LittleAsianguy » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:12 am

I wouldnt take the risk if im in your situation. Wouldnt really care if i im stuck with glasses or contacts forever. If i where you i'd make sure you're 100% suitable for laser eye surgery.
LittleAsianguy

Return to Thinking About It