Long-Term Results With LASIK Good on WebMD

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Long-Term Results With LASIK Good on WebMD

Postby LittleAsianguy » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:44 am

This was something i read online which i thought was interesting for people considering lasik.

Long-Term Results With LASIK Good
Laser Surgery for Eyesight Safe and Effective, Researchers Report
By Salynn Boyles
WebMD Health NewsReviewed by Louise Chang, MDJan. 2, 2007 -- New research should reassure the millions of people who have had laser surgery to correct nearsighted vision over the last two decades.

/////

LASIK Safe and Effective
LASIK (laser in-situ keratomileusis) is the most common laser surgery for correcting nearsightedness, known medically as myopia. Sometimes called "flap and zap surgery," surgeons performing LASIK first cut a small flap in the cornea and then reshape tissue exposed by the flap to correct vision.

/////

Not Best Choice for Severe Myopia
Roughly 18 million LASIK surgeries have been performed since the early 1990s, but LASIK is no longer considered the best choice for patients who are severely nearsighted, Waring says.

/////

http://www.webmd.com/eye-health/news/20080102/long-term-results-with-lasik-good

Note: The full article has been edited to respect the copyright of WebMD. Pleae use the link to read the full article at WebMD.
LittleAsianguy

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:48 pm

You may also want to look our our patient survey regarding Lasik results.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby beingbobbyorr » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:44 am

I was surprised at this passage:

"These days, surgical implantation of a corrective contact lens following removal of the natural lens is the preferred treatment for the roughly 10% of myopic patients with very severe nearsightedness."

Glenn, do you know what the distribution of "market share" is among high-myopses who get (pre-cataract) refractive surgery between Verisyse vs. ICL vs. RLE/CLE?
beingbobbyorr

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:35 pm

I do not have the information you request.

Refractive Lens Exchange (RLE) is generally considered more appropriate than Phakic Intraocular Lens (P-IOL) if the patient is at or past age 40 and/or is affected by presbyopia.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It