nystagmus and lasik

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

nystagmus and lasik

Postby nysmom » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:01 am

My son has congenital nystagmus and we are thinking about custom lasik surgery for him. My brother told me he was told that people with nystagmus have underdeveloped retinas or corneas and that lasik is dangerous. Is this true?
nysmom

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:42 pm

What your brother has told you may be true, but not in every case.

For those who do not know, nystagmus is involuntary movement of the eyes. It is difficult for someone with nystagmus to focus on an object because the eyes are moving all the time. During the early development years of infancy, the brain may choose to “ignore” some of the information coming from the eyes because it is confusing or blurred. Similar to ambylopia, someone with nystagmus may not fully develop the neurological component of vision.

The only thing that Lasik can do is reduce the need for corrective lenses. Lasik does not help low vision problems. Low vision is very easy to identify. If with corrective lenses vision is not clear to Snellen 20/20 standard, he probably has low vision limitations. Low vision is common for people with nystagmus.

If your son’s nystagmus is mild and he does not have low vision limitations, then refractive surgery may be appropriate, but you would need a comprehensive examination from a competent doctor to know for sure.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It