Had RK. Am I a Candidate?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Had RK. Am I a Candidate?

Postby macman » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:51 pm

I had Radial Keratotomy performed in 1990. Started wearing bifocals in 2005. Can I still have Lasik done and will it be effective? Any information is appreciated.
macman

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:18 am

Lasik, PRK, and LASEK are possible after RK. LASEK is not possible after RK. Whether or not it is appropriate depends upon how well the RK scars have healed and if your vision is stable. Some RK patients have vision fluctuations throughout the day.

Many RK patients are becoming hyperopic (farsighted) with time. Compounding the situation is that most people with RK are becoming presbyopic too. You mention your bifocals, indicating presbyopia. The combination of presbyopia and hyperopia can provide poor vision quality at any distance.

You will need a comprehensive examination from a competent Lasik doctor. If a surgeon we have certified is not nearby (click Lasik surgeon), then use our 50 Tough Questions For Your Doctor to help screen a potential surgeon.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It