Advice Needed- LASEK or PRK for hi prescription astigmatism?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Advice Needed- LASEK or PRK for hi prescription astigmatism?

Postby SSS » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:28 am

Hello All:
I have been to two board-certified doctors in order to be evaluated for lasik/lasek/prk. My current prescription is:
R SP -4.5 CYL -3.5
L SP -3.0 CYL -3.25
corneal thickness and pupil diameter allow me to be eligible for either prk or lasek.

My questions are:
Can the VISX CustomVue Laser using Custom Wavefront Technology be used to treat my prescription? What amount of nearsightedness and astigmatism can this laser correct?

Can any other custom wavefront procedures work for me based on my astigmatism? I believe my astigmatism is myopic.

Based on my prescription, what procedure (Lasek or PRK) will likely produce the best result?

If, because of my astigmatism, a custom wavefront procedure is not available to me, are there any other options available?

Based on my prescription, what is the likelihood of needed an additional surgery in the future?

Just to let you know, I am leaning toward the PRK procedure using custom wavefront technology, if possible.

Thank you for your help.
SSS

Re: Advice Needed- LASEK or PRK for hi prescription astigmat

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:09 pm

High astigmatism correction is more challenging to correct with Lasik. Please read Lasik and high astigmatism.

SSS wrote:Can the VISX CustomVue Laser using Custom Wavefront Technology be used to treat my prescription?

It is possible, however expect more than one surgery to be able to "fine tune" the results.

SSS wrote:Can any other custom wavefront procedures work for me based on my astigmatism? I believe my astigmatism is myopic.

Virtually all laser platforms would be able to resolve this level of astigmatism, however expect more than one surgery to be able to "fine tune" the results.

SSS wrote:Based on my prescription, what procedure (Lasek or PRK) will likely produce the best result?

PRK and LASEK are essentially the same procedure. There really is not any difference in the long term outcome. LASEK may take a bit longer to fully resolve. Search this website for LASEK experiences.

SSS wrote:If, because of my astigmatism, a custom wavefront procedure is not available to me, are there any other options available?

What may occur is conventional ablation for the initial surgery and wavefront-guided for the fine tuning.

SSS wrote:Based on my prescription, what is the likelihood of needed an additional surgery in the future?

In my opinion, be prepared for more than one surgery.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

High astigmatism

Postby Susan Diaz » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:50 am

My uncle had an extreme case of astigmatism and farsightedness and was told that he wasn't a good candidate for the Lasik procedure. He has to go for update every year and after two years he got his approval and guess what the surgery was successful. He is now not using glass and his life has changed a lot. I can just say have patience and you can also correct your vision. You can contact [redacted] in Upper West Side Manhattan, New York City, they offers free screening to check out if LASIK/PRK eye surgery is right for you or not. My uncle had his surgery there and his vision has been wonderful ever since.
:D :D :D

Note: Post edited to remove name of Lasik clinic.
Susan Diaz

Return to Thinking About It