wearing my glasses while I wait

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

wearing my glasses while I wait

Postby julieg » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:56 pm

I have worn gas permeable contacts for 25 years, I'm finally ready for the Lasik. My vision, is -6 and -7, not sure how that is written exactly but pretty bad eyes. Because of the Gas Perm lenses I'm told I must be out of them for at least a month. I've been wearing my glasses now for 10 days and am having a very hard time seeing out of them. I got them about 5 months ago but only wore them for a short time at night so I never really noticed this blurried vision. Is it normal for your eyes to change making it hard to see out of glasses?
julieg

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:29 pm

It is normal for Rigid Gas Permeable (RGP) contact lenses to reshape the cornea. After you stop wearing them your corneas will relax and your refractive error is very likely to change.

Also, RGPs can delay or mask underlying corneal problems. Being out of them for an extended length of time (one month may not be enough, see How Long Out Of Contacts For Lasik) will allow them to regress to their natural state and the health of the eye can be re-checked.

The refractive error changes you are experiencing are exactly why you must be out of RGPs before Lasik.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It