Should I do it ?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Should I do it ?

Postby c28560 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:55 pm

Good Day,

I recently had a consultation at the most reputable clinic in Ottawa, Canada. The head surgeon is world famous and would be doing my surgery.

I've been approved as a candidate for PRK, and they recommended Wavefront to increase accuracy.

My prescription is as follows.

OD Sphere: -7.00 Cyl: -3.25 Axis: 180
OS Sphere: -5.00 Cyl: -3.25 Axis: 004

They also recommended mono vision, I'm 48, and my right eye would be the reading eye.

I'm quite nervous about jumping into such a procedure because I've read that high prescriptions generally have a more complicated healing period. I healing period of 6 months is not acceptable to me.

Any advice ?
Thanks
c28560

Postby Pappy » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:30 pm

You might want to try out monovision prior with the use of contacts to see if it's something you "like"

As to the heal times? It's a crap shoot. It took me 3 months to finally feel functional (-5.25 each eye) but prescription is not the only determining factor (age is another one). You might luck out and be functional in 2 weeks or it could take longer.

If you do go ahead with it just do one eye at a time. That way you'll still be functional while healing.

Best of luck.
Pappy

Re: Should I do it ?

Postby beingbobbyorr » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:57 pm

c28560 wrote:My prescription is as follows.

OD Sphere: -7.00 Cyl: -3.25 Axis: 180
OS Sphere: -5.00 Cyl: -3.25 Axis: 004

Depending on your cornea thickness, you might have to think about an ICL for the -7 eye.

c28560 wrote:I'm 48

Might want to think about RLE (refractive lens exchange), since cataract surgery is somewhere in your future. Modern cataract lenses have some ability to accomodate (no need for monovision).

c28560 wrote:and my right eye would be the reading eye.

As long as that's the non-dominant eye.

Non-dominant eye = reading.
Dominant eye = distance.
beingbobbyorr

Make sure you are a risk-taker

Postby ronsivilllo » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:12 pm

The bottom line is you are taking a gamble -- there is no way around it. There ARE complications from these eye surgeries - a good surgeon who is reputable is a way to reduce your chances of complications, but there is always a chance you could end up with PERMANENT complications (as in, the rest of your life.) Cutting to the chase, are you willing to take this chance?? - if you are, that is fine, and chances are good that you will not have long term complications - but if you do, there is typically no recourse. As long as you are OK with this and are truly a risk-taker, I would absolutely advise you NOT TO DO IT!
ronsivilllo

Return to Thinking About It