What type of correction is best?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

What type of correction is best?

Postby Deanna » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:37 pm

I am considering Lasek surgery. I am very near sighted (-6.5, -7.0). The thing I am struggling with most is whether I should have both eyes corrected for distance, or one for distance and one for near. I have been told that if I have them both corrected for distance I will need reading glasses right away even for things such as seeing the prices on the grocery store shelf. I haven't found any helpful info as of yet. Anyone have any comments?
Deanna

distance/reading correction

Postby catnmus » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:10 am

I assume you're in your 40's - that's when your eyes start to change, making reading more difficult. Correcting one eye for distance and the other for reading is called monovision. If you can wear contacts, you should try it with contacts before you decide. I hear that it takes a while to adapt to it, and some people really don't like it or can't get used to it. Which is why you should try with contacts first, if you can. I'm not sure how long - probably a month or more.
catnmus

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:09 pm

We have two articles that will be of interest. One is about presbyopia and its effect when you remove your myopia (nearsighted, shortsighted) vision. The other is about monovision, the technique you are describing to reduce the need for reading glasses.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It