Thinking About it

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Thinking About it

Postby sam » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:48 am

Hi,
I am 33 years old and am thinking about going in for the all laser lasik.My right eye is -2.25 Cycl and .70 Sph and my left is -1.25 Cycl.My cornea are within the acceptable range of thickness for this procedure.I would like to know whether I should go ahead with it.Another issue that concerns me is whether my flap will be affected if I receive a blow to the face/eye at some future date after I have had lasik.
sam

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:41 pm

Only you can decide if the potential benefits of Lasik are worth the relative risk. All we can do is provide relevant facts so you can come to your own conclusion.

It is rare that a Lasik flap is dislodged due to trauma to the face, but it is possible. You may want to consider a surface ablation technique like PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, or Trans-epithelial PRK. These techniques remove tissue at the surface of the cornea, rather than under a Lasik flap. No Lasik flap means no Lasik flap problems. Even though the probability of a Lasik flap complication is relatively small, no possibility is almost always better than a low probability.
Last edited by LasikExpert on Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Thinking about it

Postby sam » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:44 am

Thankyou for your advice.
sam

Re: Thinking About it

Postby sam » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:20 am

sam wrote:Hi,
I am 33 years old and am thinking about going in for the all laser lasik.My right eye is -2.25 Cycl and .75 Sph and my left is -1.25 Cycl with no spherical error.My cornea are within the acceptable range of thickness for this procedure.I would like to know whether I should go ahead with it.

I write with refrence to the above.I finally went ahead and got my right eye corrected on the 11th of november 2009.The surgeon used the Visx S-4IR Laser for the advanced customvue procedure.I experienced better vision almost immediately after surgery and have had no problems at all as far as vision and healing goes.I did have a concern about induced hyperopia as a result of the procedure but the surgeon assures me there is no danger of that with the machine he has used.I would be grateful if you could let me know whether this is true as I am seriously considering getting my left eye done next month.
sam

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:24 am

sam wrote:I did have a concern about induced hyperopia as a result of the procedure but the surgeon assures me there is no danger of that with the machine he has used.

Never say never. There are always variable results. It is less about the accuracy of the laser and more about the variables of the human body. Since you had the one eye done the doctor knows better exactly how you eyes will likely react and he can fine tune the treatment plan if needed. There is still risk (as there is in any surgical procedure), but there does not seem to be an elevated risk in your case.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby sam » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:00 pm

I am told that induced hyperopia can be deteced by a cycloplegic refraction.This should be able to determine whether I have any latent hyperopia to worry about?
sam

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:28 pm

sam wrote:I am told that induced hyperopia can be deteced by a cycloplegic refraction.This should be able to determine whether I have any latent hyperopia to worry about?

You are correct on both counts.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby sam » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:36 pm

I had my lasik eye surgery one month ago.Is it all right if I go ahead tomorrow and undergo a cycloplegic refraction in order to determine whether there is any induced hyperopia in the operated eye?
sam

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:34 pm

sam wrote:I had my lasik eye surgery one month ago.Is it all right if I go ahead tomorrow and undergo a cycloplegic refraction in order to determine whether there is any induced hyperopia in the operated eye?

There should be no reason to not have a cycloplegic exam, but your doctor knows best.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby sam » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:41 am

Just had my cycloplegic exam the Doctor found no trace of any latent hyperopia only .5 diopters of residual astigmatism.I guess this takes care of any concerns of long term vision problems as a result of a hyperopia/presbyopia combination?
sam

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:40 pm

Indeed that does resolve any questions about hyperopia.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It