I dont qualify for Lasik/ How about PRK?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

I dont qualify for Lasik/ How about PRK?

Postby icantseeyourface » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:12 pm

I'm intent on getting my eyes fixed. I've had RGP lenses for the last 20 years and without them I'm crippled. I dont even own glasses. So here are my questions and if anyone could provide assistance or insiget it would be greatly appreciated.

* I went to 1st Laser center (IN NY...Longisland...Gardencity) and was told my corneas were too thin for Lasik. They did not even suggest PRK. They suggested IOL's!! So I then went to my eyedoctor. She HIGHLY recomended another place (also in Gardencity NY). I was also denied for Lasik but they approved me for PRK.

Questions:
The doctor stated that my leftover cornea thickness after Lasik would be 273 and 265 L/R eyes but with PRK you actually add 100 to that number because PRK takes off less of the cornea. I asked him if there is enough cornea left to do adjustments if necessary. he said yes. 1 possiblly 2 adjustments. Are my corneas thick enough?? I also have a very bad Astigmatism I dont know the numbers but I cannot seeyourface without contacts!

I also have a queston about the machines used:
The doctor uses a Visatec- Star4 wavefront laser machine. Is this the most updated and advanced equipment in the U.S?

My doctor also suggested that i switch to soft contacts for a few months and then no contacts for at least 2 weeks before th surgery. Is this advisable or do I need to extend the time before surgery without contacts?

Any help or insight would be appreciated.
icantseeyourface

Postby joeyl » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:47 pm

i would suggest you to visit more doctors
if you visit 5 doctors and 3-4 / 5 doctors told you you are not suitable i would not recommend it ...

remember these are your EYES and what you do to them is up to you...if your are really suitable for lasik then by all means go for it...

also REALLY bad astigmatism would cause more side effects as glen stated. im 4 weeks after lasik and i still see halos glare high contrast starbursts, worst of all i developed ghosting on my left eye now on the left side of the objection..so whats really anoying is that i see an image "in low light condition" a ghosted image on the right side on the right side of my eye..and ghosting on the left side of an image on the left side of my eye...

my recommendation is SEE MORE DOCTORS / GET MORE CONSULTATIONS
and listsen to what the doctors says...pupil size also have an effect not just cornea thickness and AGE also has a factor too...

NOT ALL DOCTORS OUT THERE ARE "LEGIT"
so just research more, dont regret it...
joeyl

Halo's Starbursts etc...

Postby icantseeyourface » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:04 pm

Also as a follow up question:
Is there a direct correlation that can be drawn from Pupil size, cornea thickness, degree of astigmatism etc.. AND the probable certainty that there will be extensive blurriness, halo's and ghosting. And, what is ghosting? Are these problems prolonged or a temporary side effect?

Glenn if your out there I would appreciate your perspective as well.

Thanks
icantseeyourface

Re: I dont qualify for Lasik/ How about PRK?

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:37 pm

icantseeyourface wrote:They did not even suggest PRK. They suggested IOL's!!

A problem with an IOL is that it would not correct your astigmatism. You would need a combination of IOL and laser to resolve both the myopia (nearsighted) vision and the astigmatism.

Depending upon your age (what is it?) the doctor may have recommended a phakic intraocular lens (P-IOL) rather than Refractive Lens Exchange (RLE).

icantseeyourface wrote:The doctor stated that my leftover cornea thickness...

icantseeyourface wrote:also have a very bad Astigmatism...

icantseeyourface wrote:My doctor also suggested that i switch to soft contacts for a few months and then no contacts for at least 2 weeks before th surgery. Is this advisable or do I need to extend the time before surgery without contacts?

All of these facts raise a very serious concern that needs to be evaluated before you are really able to make a decision: keratoconus. The thinner than normal corneas and high astigmatism are general indicators of this naturally ocurring corneal disease and wearing hard contact lenses for 20 years may have hidden it's effects. An extended time with soft contacts and without any contacts will likely allow the cornea to relax and show if there are any signs of keratoconus.

Another issue is the amount of correction as a percentage of the total corneal thickness. As a general rule, if more than half of the corneal thickness will be disrupted, there is a higher potential for problems. What is your prescription and what is your current corneal thickness?

icantseeyourface wrote:I also have a queston about the machines used: The doctor uses a Visatec (sic)- Star4 wavefront laser machine. Is this the most updated and advanced equipment in the U.S?

The Visx Star S4 wavefront-guided excimer laser is among the current generation of lasers, however rely much more on the qualities of the doctor than the qualities of the laser. No amount of technology can compensate for an inferior surgeon.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It