Calling all High Hyperopes that had LASIK, LASEK, ETC...

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Calling all High Hyperopes that had LASIK, LASEK, ETC...

Postby gkrogers » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:48 am

My script is: +OD 5.25 - 1.25 X 031; OS +5.25 - 1.75 X 145. I am 50 and will always need bifocals or reading glasses. I have 3 exams and had 1 definite NO, 1 positive YES, and 1 maybe (shakey). I have read one or two comments over the last few months from some high hyperopes that it was worth it. Please any of you that had a script similar or worse than mine and had laser surgery, please comment on your results.
gkrogers

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:01 am

I hope you get comments from other high hyperopes (farsighted, longsighted). In the mean time I’ll provide what insight I have gained from previous hyperopes.

At age 50 you are very or fully presbyopic. Your ability to change focus is restricted. The combination of hyperopia and presbyopia tends to provide poor quality vision at all distances.

Lasik correction of high hyperopia is much less predictable than myopia (nearsighted, shortsighted) vision. You are a very, very high hyperope. Even though hyperopic outcomes are not as good as myopic outcomes, the relative benefit tends to be more for a high hyperope/presbyope. Even if the surgical outcome is not stellar, the improvement is highly appreciated...but the outcome is not likely to be stellar.

I highly recommend that you investigate Refractive Lens Exchange (RLE). RLE will not resolve your astigmatism, but a combination of RLE and cornea based refractive surgery (Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, or Epi-Lasik) may be appropriate.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Hyperopic LASIK

Postby gkrogers » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:53 pm

Just a re-post. Are there any hyperopic LASIK patients out there who can provide some insight on the subject? :)
gkrogers

Only a few H-lasik survivors (compared to myopes)

Postby Mack » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:12 am

"Are there any hyperopic LASIK patients out there who can provide some insight on the subject?"

We are scarce but we are out here. My preop script was exactly the same as yours in my dominant eye and a little less in the other. I had primary lasik done with a Visx S1 with no tracking and double carding back in 1999. Flap lift enhancements at 4 and 6 months. It took a long time for the regression to stabilize...about 3 years later with only astigmatism at about +1.25 in each eye. Last year I got CK in each eye about 3 months apart and have stayed at +0.5 astig in each eye. 20/20 BUCVA. Very decent in good light. Corrective lenses only help in low light but do not get me back the 20/15 I had prelasik. But overall I am quite satisfied considering I had this done "off-label" before it was even FDA approved, including the CK. I use +1.5 readers and dont mind them at all. I have corresponded with over a dozen high hyperope lasik survivors over the years and most all turned out about the same, maybe a little worse than me on average. Most wear light correction most of the time. Several still battle poor nighttime vision and dry eye.
The technology has gotten better as today's lasers can now do a wider total ablation zone to fully resolve the astigmatism so that visual acuity does not get worse in low light conditions. I still have a little bit of flaring around light sources at night when driving, but its really only a minor annoyance. The key for you getting a good result is to find a lasik doc who has done this level of H-lasik correction successfully with numerous patients...not just a few. Glenn gives good advice about investigating RLE. My CK doc said most responsible lasik docs today will not do H-lasik with astig over +4 and prefer RLE. The results are generally more predicatable and stable. If you do lasik, be prepared for a long recovery with fluctuating visual clarity and realize you will not likely get the same end results as glasses give you now. It should be very close, but not quite as good. If you temper your expectations accordlingly, you should be OK.
Good luck! :)
Mack

H-LASIK SCHEDULED

Postby gkrogers » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:49 pm

I am scheduled for LASIK this coming Friday, 06 Apr 07. I'll post a few days after my procedure.
gkrogers

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:14 am

We'll see you in the "Just Had It" section!
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Moved to "Just Had It" Category

Postby gkrogers » Tue May 22, 2007 4:39 pm

I had lasik about 3 weeks ago or so. Please read my posting under the "Just Had It" category. Look for "Hyperopic LASIK". Successfull so far. :D
gkrogers

Return to Thinking About It