Thinking about it, but I'm really glad I found this website

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Thinking about it, but I'm really glad I found this website

Postby Humboldtfisher » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:57 pm

Hi there:

I just found this website a couple of days ago and signed-up yesterday. I'm 46 years old and have worn glasses every day of my life since 4th grade. I had an eye exam in January and decided to consider corrective surgery. I work as a fisheries biologist and also do a lot of boating, snorkeling and scuba diving.........and glasses have always been bothersome for a lot of these activities.

Up until finding this site, I was 100% sure I was going to go through with corrective surgery, now I'm not so sure. During the past month I've tested the mono-vision option with contacts and had overall a pretty good adjustment, except the contacts never fully addressed my astigmatism (I tried 4 different types since they slipped out of place alot because they were weighted to address my astigmatism). I also had a wavefront image done with my eye test in January and I do have some high-level aberrations (more on this later).

Where I live, I would be using my local Dr. for pre and post op exams and going 4 hours south for the procedure. I've been seeing my local Dr. for close to 20 years and overall have been pleased, but am now getting the feeling that doing lasik is sort of being pushed. I'm scheduled for my pre-op exam next week and a surgery date has already been set. What if the exam shows I'm not a good candidate?

Here's the numbers from my wavefront, and then a few questions.....

Sphere: right eye -4.00 left -3.75
Cylinder: right -2.50 left -2.12
Axis: right 12deg left 155 deg
pupil dia: right 5.0mm left 5.5 mm

Total high order: right = 0.28D left = 0.27 D (these are in red for high)
Trefoil: right = 0.08D left = 0.07 D (green for low)
Coma: right = 0.23D left = 0.19D (red for high)
Spherical aberration: right = 0.14D left = 0.16D (red for high)

So questions:

1. Are these high order aberrations a concern?

2. My goal is to get out of glasses. Is this a realistic expectation? If not, I'd rather save the $5200 and just deal with glasses (I've done OK for 38 years), or give a contacts a try.

3. I'm not totally sold on the mono-vision, especially if depth perception could be compromised. I'd like to hear from folks who done mono-vision, and if they're pleased with results, or not.

4. After reading lots of the "just had it done" posts, I'm concerned about healing time. Especially since my surgery date is scheduled 10 days before leaving for two weeks of field work on the east side of Sierras at a high elevation and in a very dry climate. I will be working long (10-hour) days probably in bright sunlight. When I mentioned this to the "lasik coordinator", she said, "oh you'll be fine". Seems like I should insist on changing surgery date to when I'm closer to home for a longer period of time. Any thoughts?

Ross
Humboldtfisher

Postby eclipse » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:10 pm

hey humboldtfisher/ross, i am also set up to have corrective surgery in coming weeks.

since i havn't had it and not an expert or anything I cant answer your ?'s with 100% certainess but I can give you my prespective.

As far as the surgery are you doing PRK or Lasik, being Lasik should have faster visibilty results 20/20 within few days where prk can take much longer, of course both are subject to be diferent but thats the case with most people,

I have -5.00 + myopia, and I was told I could expect 20/20 vision results, I would imagine this would be the same for you but you can consult with your doctor and get there opinions as well.

As far as rescheduling your surgery I am spose to have the operation on a friday and can expect to go back to work monday, but I would recommend doing your surgery when ever you feel more comfortable as far as healing, casue dry weather could cause more irritation during healing.

Just realize this website may seem like mostly complications or problems coming from most people who had surgery, and just goes to show that there are risk and side effects/complications do happen but at the same time most people do not come here and report about perfect surgeries cause they have nothing to ask or question about.

but just make sure your a fully behind your choice for lasik since there is always that chance, and like you said you can always try contacts or think a little more about it. just don't feel pressured into it cause its your eyes and your vision, hope all goes well lets us know what you decide.
eclipse

My opinion

Postby catnmus » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:39 pm

In my opinion, any doctor that gives you grief about rescheduling, is probably more concerned with money. I had Epi-Lasik (which has longer healing time) and my second eye was pre-scheduled for 5 weeks out, which they said would be fine (and in retrospect it probably would have been). After about 3 weeks I was uncomfortable with the thought of having the second done (remember that long healing time!), so I told them I wanted to delay it. They said fine, just call when I'm ready to reschedule (but warned me that they were booked up a couple weeks in advance). No trouble, no hassle.

Personally, I would try avoid the dryness if possible, though you didn't say if you were going to be having regular Lasik or a surface procedure like PRK or Epi-Lasik. I'm guessing regular Lasik since 10 days would NOT be enough healing time after a surface procedure. In fact, days 10 through about 20 were when I had the WORST vision.

I would also warn against "expecting 20/20 vision". My doc said I could expect to pass the driver's license eye test without glasses, which is 20/30. I am at about 20/25, which doesn't make me thrilled, but, on the other hand, it's pushing off the need for reading glasses a bit (I'm 44). On the third hand, if had been stuck in glasses for most of my life, 20/25 with no glasses would be a BIG improvement! As far as getting out of glasses, I think that GENERALLY is a realistic expectation, but it will depend on your need for "perfect" vision. If your resulting vision is too far away from 20/20 they usually will do an enhancement (make sure they tell you whether that would be free and for how long - 1 year, 2 years, whatever). But if it's CLOSE to 20/20 (like mine, 20/25) they're reluctant to try something that small and possibly make it worse. So you might need glasses for times when you need really good distance vision if they undercorrect, or really good close vision, if they overcorrect. It's also possible that the astigmatism might be reduced enough that you can use regular contacts instead of toric ones.

Long story short, you need to consider all these things based on your own priorities, and make sure to pick a competent doctor!
catnmus

Re: Thinking about it, but I'm really glad I found this webs

Postby It's Just Me » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:03 pm

I had monovision contacts for over a year and loved them. I got the monovision lasik in January 2009 and am not quite clear yet.

My first comment is that 2 weeks for such intensive work is VERY soon. My eyes were healing and adjusting for a long time (possibly tired for 2 months post op) It bothered me to watch tv for a while. I just went snorkeling last month and it was AWESOME to not have to worry about glasses or contacts! The water on my mask made it quite clear. It took me so long to be clear too. I have finally gotten alMOST healed I believe. I have trouble when I'm driving seeing signs when I'm trying to find places it's quite disorienting. In Safeway, I have great difficulty seeing aisle signs too. I am asking my surgeon a few questions today..he did say I could have an enhancment, but I just need to ask him if it would be best if I waited, and ask him about doing my left eye for far away.
Last edited by It's Just Me on Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's Just Me

Postby It's Just Me » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:05 pm

I could have never gone back to work so soon. I was quite blurry for weeks. My experiences are here for your to read. I was quite scared for a long time, thinking I had made the biggest mistake of my life.

eclipse wrote:hey humboldtfisher/ross, i am also set up to have corrective surgery in coming weeks.

since i havn't had it and not an expert or anything I cant answer your ?'s with 100% certainess but I can give you my prespective.

As far as the surgery are you doing PRK or Lasik, being Lasik should have faster visibilty results 20/20 within few days where prk can take much longer, of course both are subject to be diferent but thats the case with most people,

I have -5.00 + myopia, and I was told I could expect 20/20 vision results, I would imagine this would be the same for you but you can consult with your doctor and get there opinions as well.

As far as rescheduling your surgery I am spose to have the operation on a friday and can expect to go back to work monday, but I would recommend doing your surgery when ever you feel more comfortable as far as healing, casue dry weather could cause more irritation during healing.

Just realize this website may seem like mostly complications or problems coming from most people who had surgery, and just goes to show that there are risk and side effects/complications do happen but at the same time most people do not come here and report about perfect surgeries cause they have nothing to ask or question about.

but just make sure your a fully behind your choice for lasik since there is always that chance, and like you said you can always try contacts or think a little more about it. just don't feel pressured into it cause its your eyes and your vision, hope all goes well lets us know what you decide.
It's Just Me

Return to Thinking About It