Best eye surgery for me?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Best eye surgery for me?

Postby av1 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:35 pm

Hey, I'm 18 years old with -2.00D of myopia and -0.5D of astigmatism, in both eyes.

Assuming my cornea is not thin and I'm capable of going through all procedures, which one is expected to produce the best results and is the safest?
[LASEK, Epi-Lasik, PRK, ICL, Intrastromal corneal rings, Lasik, IntraLasik, etc.]

I'd like to point out that I excercise a lot, and I've heard Lasik will have me rest from sports for a few months, so this is no good...

Thanks!
av1

Postby av1 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:21 pm

+ What's your opinion about intrastromal corneal ring segments? will it be good for me ?
av1

Re: Best eye surgery for me?

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:29 am

av1 wrote:LASEK, Epi-Lasik, PRK,

Although some doctors have a favorite of these surface ablation procedures, they are essentially the same thing and all have the same long-term result.

av1 wrote:ICL

Much too invasive for your low refractive error, plus at some point they must be removed before too much damage is done to the epithelial cells (back side of the cornea). I doubt you can get them for that low of error.

av1 wrote:Intrastromal corneal rings

Still used for keratoconus patients, but have fallen out of favor for the more predictable and adjustible Lasik and PRK.

av1 wrote:Lasik, IntraLasik

The same procedure with the difference being what kind of device makes the Lasik flap. The most popular procedure out there due in large part to the virtual lack of pain and fast vision recovery.

av1 wrote:I'd like to point out that I excercise a lot, and I've heard Lasik will have me rest from sports for a few months, so this is no good...

That would depend on the sport, and a few months is much longer than one should expect. If you are involved in contact sports, such as boxing, then PRK/LASEK/Epi-Lasik would likely be the best as these do not have a Lasik flap, which can become dislodged with enough and the right kind of taruma to the eye. It's not very likely it will become dislodged, but with PRK/LASEK/Epi-Lasik there is no flap so there is no possibility of a Lasik flap problem.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby av1 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:04 pm

Ok, one last question: Considering my numbers, what are the chances of success (assuming pupil & corneal properties are good)?
I mean, can I expect a very good chance (virtually 100%) of achieving -0.25 D myopia or better and 0.25 D astigmatism or better,
or is it too much to expect...?
av1

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:53 pm

Your refractive error is low and you are young. Both tend to indicate a good result. For detailed Lasik resultson a wide range of patients, see the USAEyes CORE patient survey.

The only thing I'd suggest that may be a bit out of the norm would be to ask your surgeon for both a manifest refraction (which is better, one or two?) and a cycloplegic refraction (which is better with your lenses paralyzed). A significant difference between the two may suggest a better treatment plan.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It