Are Lasik and PRK long lasting?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Are Lasik and PRK long lasting?

Postby nifty0 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:38 am

From what I've found out, you can expect results of Lasik or PRK to be similar to the results of your corrected vision. My corrected vision is great, but almost every year my prescription changes, usually for the worse. Also, the only person I know that has had Lasik, and a few years have gone by (I think about 5), says that she can already tell that her vision isn't what it used to be when she had the surgery.

So, I was wanting to know how typical it is for your vision to gradually worsen just like it often does when you are nearsighted without surgery? I say only nearsighted because I know so little about farsightedness.

Also, are the side effects of PRK less likely than Lasik side effects because the flap isn't created or does PRK just have it's own set of side effects? The only benefit I have found for Lasik over PRK, in my admittedly limited research, is the speedy healing time.

Thanks a bunch for your time here.
nifty0

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:33 pm

The changes Lasik makes are permanent, however your eyes will continue to change after Lasik just as they would have changed without Lasik. This is an important consideration regarding whether or not Lasik is appropriate for you. Also, rapidly progressing vision degradation can be a sign of eye health problems that need to be addressed before making a decision about Lasik.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It