Kerataconis

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Kerataconis

Postby Rick » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:24 am

My wife is looking into getting Intacs. Does anybody know anything about the alternative medicine C3-R treatment. I found a Dr in southern California who uses it, but the Dr I have contacted in Northern California feels that it hasn't been proven yet. I know the US is sometimes slow approving certain medical treatments. Is this treatment being used in other countries ? Any information whould be greatly appreciated.
Rick

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:27 am

We have a very detailed article on Corneal Collagen Crosslinking with Riboflavin (CxL) that you may find helpful.

Most of the development of CxL has been in Germany and Switzerland over the past ten years. I attended the first international congress on this process last December in Geneva, where many studies were presented.

In my opinion CxL shows tremendous promise in helping patients with keratoconus and those with fluctuating corneas from previous Radial Keratotomy (RK), but it is a relatively new technique. Most of the studies showed a stabilization of the cornea, but not all. A minority of the studies showed little or no improvement.

The unknown about CxL is the long-term effect of light exposure on the cornea and whatever amount of light may reach the retina. Nothing in the current studies has shown a detriment, but because CxL is relatively new one must rely to some degree on theory.

Whether or not CxL has proven itself is certainly open to interpretation. What I have not seen is a detrimental effect.

Intacs have been FDA approved as a therapeutic treatment for keratoconus and their efficacy has been proven. It is possible to have both CxL and Intacs.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It