Final last call (only 2 days left for laski), pls help!

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Final last call (only 2 days left for laski), pls help!

Postby icewear » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:34 am

I am 28 yrs old.

My prescription:
Auto-R OD -7.75 + 1.25 X 055
OS -8.00 + 0.50 X 135
(Actually, I don't understand these formula. The doctor told me my prescription is -6.50 and -7.25, and one eye has 1.0 astigmatism. I don't know how he got such figure with the formula above.)

Cornea thickness: 531mic, and 528 mic

Pupil size: 9.0mm (This is done after using the pupil dilation drops)
I heard the doctor saying you got large pupil when he was measuring my pupil. But, later he said although I have big pupil and high myopia, I am still a GOOD candidate for custom lasik surgery.

I did wavescan today, and the assistant of the doctor who verified my pupil size told me that my pupil size in the DARK ROOM is normal, around 7.3-7.5mm. She also thinks I will be fine with the custom lasik surgery.

The pupil diameter in day time is 3.9mm and 4.4mm.

I have been wearing glasses since grade 2. I started to wear contact lens when I was 16. After 8 yrs daily wearing contact lens, I do not feel comfortable with the contact lens. I felt my eyes dry, especially after long-time using computer for work. (working at the computer in the air-conditioning office.) The doctor said I feel my eyes dry does not mean I have dry eye diesease which is a diesease with tear tube of eyes...

Therefore, the doctor said I am a good candidiate with 95% of achievement of 20/20 vision. The doctor accepted me to do the custom lasik surgery. He seems have no concern about my high prescription and my pupil size.

However, I read some materials and I know there is higher risk for my situation. My friends who had lasik all seem happy with their result ( most of them had lasik within 1 yr. )

I am fine with wearing glasses but my friends' happiness with their improved sight inspired me to do the lasik. A friend refers me this doctor who has good experiences according to the introduction and the brochure of the clinic.

Should I rely on the doctor's opinion and go forward with lasik surgery? I always want to get rid of glasses. But, I also concern whether the doctor is just saying so for money reason.

Timing is a major concern for me because if I do not take the lasik this Friday I may not have a chance to do the lasik in the next 2-3 years. The lasik technology seems developed quickly and should I wait for a more advanced technology? But, I also heard the doctor saying people around 25 yrs old is the best time to take lasik.

Your advice and suggestions are very important for me! Thanks so much in advance.
icewear

Your pupils seem HUGE and prescription very high

Postby Anyman » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:41 am

Sounds like a big chance of complications & risk. I'd pass....... Too risky for me.
Anyman

Re: Final last call (only 2 days left for laski), pls help!

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:35 am

icewear wrote:I am 28 yrs old.

Excellent for good vision recovery.

icewear wrote:My prescription:
Auto-R OD -7.75 + 1.25 X 055
OS -8.00 + 0.50 X 135
(Actually, I don't understand these formula. The doctor told me my prescription is -6.50 and -7.25, and one eye has 1.0 astigmatism. I don't know how he got such figure with the formula above.)

Your automatic vision testing device writes the prescription in plus cylinder. When converted, your minus cylinder is the -6.50 and -7.25 with 1.00 dioper of astigmatism. If you are terribly curious about such things, read our article about how to read an eyeglass prescription.

This is moderately high myopia (nearsighted, shortsighted) vision with moderately low astigmatism. All well within the treatable range for today's lasers.
icewear wrote:Cornea thickness: 531mic, and 528 mic

Healthy and thick enough to maintain corneal stability after surgery.
icewear wrote:Pupil size: 9.0mm (This is done after using the pupil dilation drops)

This number provides no useful information. It is the size of your naturally dilated pupil that may be important.
icewear wrote:I heard the doctor saying you got large pupil when he was measuring my pupil. But, later he said although I have big pupil and high myopia, I am still a GOOD candidate for custom lasik surgery.

It is unfortunate we don't know the pupil size in the natual state.
icewear wrote:I did wavescan today, and the assistant of the doctor who verified my pupil size told me that my pupil size in the DARK ROOM is normal, around 7.3-7.5mm. She also thinks I will be fine with the custom lasik surgery.

There is the number we need. This puts you in a catagory of moderately elevated risk. See our article on Lasik pupil size. In wavefront-guided mode, the laser used for Lasik has an full correction zone of no more than 6.5mm and slightly less for the astigmatism component. The ablation can be larger, but full correction is limited to 6.5mm or less.
icewear wrote:The pupil diameter in day time is 3.9mm and 4.4mm.

Not important for our needs.
icewear wrote:I have been wearing glasses since grade 2. I started to wear contact lens when I was 16. After 8 yrs daily wearing contact lens, I do not feel comfortable with the contact lens. I felt my eyes dry, especially after long-time using computer for work. (working at the computer in the air-conditioning office.) The doctor said I feel my eyes dry does not mean I have dry eye diesease which is a diesease with tear tube of eyes...

The feeling of dry eyes is not the same as having eyes with too little tears.
icewear wrote:Therefore, the doctor said I am a good candidiate with 95% of achievement of 20/20 vision. The doctor accepted me to do the custom lasik surgery. He seems have no concern about my high prescription and my pupil size.

Snellen 20/20 is only one measurement of vision and it is not necessarily the best. You can have perfect 20/20 vision in daylight, but be unable to drive at night because of debilitating halos, starburst, etc. I'm not suggesting that this would be your result, but there is more to vision than well-known black letters with sharp edges on a white background in a controlled environment.
icewear wrote:However, I read some materials and I know there is higher risk for my situation. My friends who had lasik all seem happy with their result ( most of them had lasik within 1 yr. )

If you put in your friend's contact lenses, would you expect to see well? Neither should you predict your Lasik outcome based upon a friend's results. You may have very different circumstances.
icewear wrote:I am fine with wearing glasses but my friends' happiness with their improved sight inspired me to do the lasik. A friend refers me this doctor who has good experiences according to the introduction and the brochure of the clinic.

Friends are an excellent source of information about the process of Lasik, but not a realiable source for what to expect for vision outcome. Perhaps looking at a larger group would be helpful for you. Read our USAEyes Competence Opinion Relative to Expectation (CORE) patient survey on Lasik results.
icewear wrote:Should I rely on the doctor's opinion and go forward with lasik surgery? I always want to get rid of glasses. But, I also concern whether the doctor is just saying so for money reason.

A second opinion is warranted.
icewear wrote:Timing is a major concern for me because if I do not take the lasik this Friday I may not have a chance to do the lasik in the next 2-3 years.

Then wait 2-3 years. You do not have the information you need to make a confident decision. There is no rush. Take your time and think this through.
icewear wrote:The lasik technology seems developed quickly and should I wait for a more advanced technology?

There will always be impovements in any medical procedure. What you need to do now is decide if what is available to you now would likely meet your needs. If not, don't do it.
icewear wrote:But, I also heard the doctor saying people around 25 yrs old is the best time to take lasik.

For Lasik, there is not that much difference between a 28 year old and a 31 year old.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It