PRK Advice

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

PRK Advice

Postby bmather9 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:02 am

I got my first pair of glasses in 4th grade and refused to wear them. Eventually in 8th grade I got contact lenses and they have been a total success for me. I currently wear soft contact lenses with prescription of -2.75 (20/200) left and -2.25 (20/100) right. I'm 25 and currently a USAF officer who was planning to go to pilot training but was disqualified for color vision; fortunately the Navy color vision standard is not as strict and I am planning a transfer into Naval Aviation. To do this I must meet the standard of 20/40 or better UCVA with a waiver for PRK. Before I elect to get such a surgery I want to know, if for my case, the risk is worth it. I am certainly planning to be sure I pass the color vision standard for the Navy before anyone touches my eyes and even then there is certainly no guarantee I will be granted a transfer and accepted into Naval Aviation.

Either way I've always been interested in laser vision correction and am now at a point where I'd like to have it done, but want to fully understand all the parameters involved and risks. I've read a lot about they types of surgery and the complications involved with each; PRK is the only current option for my goals with the Navy (LASIK study is not quite complete for them yet) and from the research I've done it seems like the best option for my case. I'm fully open to a longer recovery period but really want to do what will give the best results in acuity, quality, and durability.

Unfortunately I don't know anything further about my eyes (pupil diameter, HOA, astigmatism, etc.) but I'd like to hear information about USAF PRK surgery and any good statistics on complications with their procedures (I've seen a lot of numbers but don't know who to believe). If these statistics are pertinent to my condition that would be beneficial. The USAF seems to advertise very good results and in their study on aviators, and I read that none of the current aviators in the study were DQed from flying. I've read about many people who had poor results from their LASIK or PRK but never heard of anyone in the military who had such poor results.

The basic gist of what I've read says that I have mild myopia which will make success much more likely. In addition the USAF uses WFG-PRK which does a significantly better job of reducing corneal haze and HOA's after surgery thus resulting in good low contrast vision, but what I don't know is how good of a job this actually does compared to my current contact lenses. I understand results will be widely variable due to the healing process, but how likely is it that I'll experience haze or loss of contrast? Is it significantly possible that I have HOA's right now and the PRK will reduce them? Should MMC be used in my procedure to reduce haze?

Whats the difference between WFG-PRK and conventional PRK?

How common are night vision problems with halos and starbursts beyond 3-6 months? What factors other than pupil diameter affect this?

How can I be assured the ablation will be properly centered?

Should I consider LASEK or epi-Lasik instead of normal PRK procedure?

How common are floaters after surgery (I've had one for years, but I rarely ever notice it)?

If my vision is not corrected to 20/20 how likely will it be for me to still comfortably wear contact lenses? Will glasses or a "touch-up" surgery be my only options afterward?

How common are dry eye problems beyond the 6 month window?

Is my myopia likely to regress significantly so that I would need further correction when I'm older? Would this regression help with presbyopia? Should I be aiming for an under-correction so that I will be better off when I become presbyopic?

I know many of the symptoms from PRK are noticed early on but clear up as much as 6 months to 1 year later, but realistically what are the odds of these complications lasting longer than 3-6 months considering my mild myopia and the USAF procedures of WFG-PRK?

Sorry for the random list of questions; I meant this to be a logically organized post but the learning curve for this seems to be quite steep. I guess the overall question I'm trying to answer for myself, is PRK worth the risk to achieve my goals considering my current mild prescription and success with contacts?
bmather9

Re: PRK Advice

Postby PRKorIntacs » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:03 pm

I posted the advice to you in another forum:

http://www.lasermyeye.org/forums/showthread.php?p=19600#post19600
PRKorIntacs

Return to Thinking About It