lasik with dry eye?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

lasik with dry eye?

Postby michaelscai » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:38 am

I had a exam at the lasik doctors office two days ago, and schirmer test give me a score of 6

should I wait before doing the lasik this week? The doctor is saying it won't make much difference if I wait or not, is that true?

Also, they only ask me to take schirmer test for 1 minute with my eyes closed, is that too short?

the examination before the lasik surgery only took less than an hour and I spent most time with the technician, the doctor came in the last 10 minute, is that normal?

thank you all!
michaelscai

Re: lasik with dry eye?

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:01 am

michaelscai wrote:I had a exam at the lasik doctors office two days ago, and schirmer test give me a score of 6

That appears to be a relatively low score. Ask the doctor if the tear quantity was low, and why.

michaelscai wrote:should I wait before doing the lasik this week?

You should not proceed with elective surgery if you are unsure if it is the correct decision.

michaelscai wrote:The doctor is saying it won't make much difference if I wait or not, is that true?

It can make a world of difference. See our article on Lasik and dry eyes.

michaelscai wrote:Also, they only ask me to take schirmer test for 1 minute with my eyes closed, is that too short?

Not necessarily, but it is an issue to bring up with the surgeon.

michaelscai wrote:the examination before the lasik surgery only took less than an hour and I spent most time with the technician, the doctor came in the last 10 minute, is that normal?

Yes. There is no need for a surgeon to do most preoperative tests. To be honest, I would prefer a specially trained technication's work to a surgeon who is unfamiliar with the technology. The surgeon should review the test results, investigate anything unusual, make a diagnosis, prognosis, and treatment plan (if any).
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It