Your opinion

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Your opinion

Postby berkshirebt » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:35 pm

I had my evaluation a week ago and at the least have decided to postpone surgery until I give this more thought and do more research. I am supposed to take pictures at a relative's wedding next month and did not want to take the chance of not being able to see clearly enough to do this. Here are the results of my evaluation:

From prescription
OD: sph -6.25 cyl +1.00 axis 010

As best I can remember
Corneal thicknesses were 498 and 502 but I'm not sure which eye each
Residual beds were going to be around 280
Don't know what pupil sizes were

I currently wear RGP lenses with -5.5D correction on each. I went to soft lenses at 6 weeks pre-exam and glasses 3 weeks later.

I was told and read here that LASIK will almost never give the sharpness of vision that RGPs achieve. What about PRK, intra-LASIK and others?

Can corneal thickness change depending on time out of RGP lenses?

With my thin corneas and the fact that I may not get as sharp of vision as I currently have I am seriously leaning toward just wearing lenses for the rest of my life. I have worn them for nearly 25 years so it is such a routine in my life that it's not a huge problem. My only fear is losing one while by myself somewhere and having to drive home with "one eye".

I understand that you are not a doctor but you are obviously very knowledgable about eye surgery and health. What would you recommend in this situation?
berkshirebt

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:44 pm

The most you can expect from refractive surgery is the convenience of a reduced need for corrective lenses. To achieve that convenience, you will need to accept some risk. Lasik is not about having better vision after surgery, or improving the strength of the cornea, or anything like that at all. It is about convenience.

It appears that convenience is not a terribly important issue for you, as you indicate that you would not have a problem with wearing your RGP lenses.

A minimum residual corneal bed of 250 microns is considered adequate, but knowing that you would probably have a bed of about 280 seems to be getting rather close to that minimum. Some doctors prefer a minimum of 300 microns and more is always better. If you do decide to have surgery, investigate the surface ablation techniques of PRK, LASEK, and Epi-Lasik.

Surface ablation techniques for your amount of corrective error would have an elevated probability of corneal haze. This may be mitigated by the use of Mitomycin C during surgery or taking 500mg of vitamin C twice a day for a week before surgery and at least two weeks after surgery, but the added (although relatively small) risk is there.

In my opinion you are not an 'ideal' candidate. Your corneas are a bit thin for Lasik and if you go to surface ablation you have a slightly elevated risk of corneal haze. All of these physiological reasons can probably be accommodated, but the big reason and IMO the most important reason that you are not an ideal candidate is that what Lasik may provide - convenience - is not terribly important to you.

Perhaps you should shelve this decision for a while. Maybe next fall you should consider this again and see if during the previous year your contacts really were all that inconvenient.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby maxxed » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:37 pm

My doctor has told me his patients who were long term wearers of RGP lenses tend to not do well with laser vision correction, due to the fact that the cornea is almost always warped or thin in those cases.

If I may ask, do you wear RGP's because they give you better vision than soft contacts? You seem to tolerate RGP's very well.
maxxed

Return to Thinking About It