considering monovision

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

considering monovision

Postby terrydavi » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:32 pm

I am scheduled to have Lasik on April 13th. I have to decide if I want the monovision or not. I am 48 and started wearing reading glasses about 8 years ago. That progressed to progressives or trifocals full time now. I see perfectly with glasses both close and far and to read. I was given monovision contacts a while back but because of an astigmatism, the Dr. advised the lenses he finally fitted me for were "the best is going to be". I had no problem with the close/far contacts as far as my brain needing to get used to them. I can read my computer and see to drive with them in. Reading a paper is ok, I can manage, but not perfectly clear and distance is not always perfectly clear. My question is this, can I expect about the same results with the monovision lasik as i have with wearing my contacts and since I don't have "brain adjustment" issues with wearing my contacts, does that mean i should not have the adjustment issues after the surgery? I am totally undecided about which one to have done. Dr. recommended the mono, but afraid I will be totally disappointed with the results. Not sure what to really expect. I have no idea what my eyes are right now, but i think he said 1.75 in both for seeing far. (I can put my left eye contact in both eyes and see perfectly, but can't read upclose) Any info would be appreciated. I have been all over this site and I have gotten alot of useful info so far.
My contacts are L +1.75 -0.75 090 R+3.00 -0.75 110 and are Acuvue Oasys for astigmatisn. I have no idea what that all means.
terrydavi

Re: considering monovision

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:22 pm

terrydavi wrote:My question is this, can I expect about the same results with the monovision lasik as i have with wearing my contacts and since I don't have "brain adjustment" issues with wearing my contacts, does that mean i should not have the adjustment issues after the surgery?

Discuss the probable outcome with your surgeon, but it appears your results with Lasik might be better than your monovision with contact lenses. Your doctor's comment about the contacts indicates that not all of your refractive error was corrected during your monovision trial. It is reasonable to assume that Lasik will target full correction.

Another reason you may be pleased with your Lasik results is because you are hyperopic (farsighted, longsighted). At your age, you are also presbyopic. The combination of hyperopia and presbyopia often yeilds poor vision quality at all distances. Correction with contacts or laser vision correction can be very helpful for someone with your refractive state.

Be sure to read our article on monovision.

terrydavi wrote:My contacts are L +1.75 -0.75 090 R+3.00 -0.75 110 and are Acuvue Oasys for astigmatisn. I have no idea what that all means.

We have a detailed article on how to read eyeglass or contact prescription, but your monovision script is a bit different. It appears that the doctor has determined that your left eye is your dominant eye (see how to know which eye is dominant). This eye is hyperopic 1.75 diopters. This eye also has 0.75 diopters of astigmatism.

Since you say you have excellent distance vision with the +1.75 contact in your right eye, your right eye contact lens prescription indicates the surgeon is making your right eye 1.25 diopters myopic (nearsighted, shortsighted). Your right eye is for seeing things close and your left eye is for seeing things distant. Your right eye also has 0.75 diopters of astigmatism.

Hyperopia is more challenging to correct than myopia, but hyperopic presbyopes tend to be more satisfied with their Lasik results because of the overall improvement in vision quality.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby terrydavi » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:58 am

Thank you for all your information. It has helped me make up my mind to go ahead with the monovision. I guess if I just can't get used to it, they could do an enhancement and put me to seeing far away and wearing reading glasses. I had read the article on monovision. It too had some good info, along with a lot of posts on this forum. I am trying to wear the contacts for the next week or so to make sure I can get used to them. I got them around 8 months ago, but only wore them for the whole day when on vacation, where I didn't have to read or drive! When I wear them, my distance vision goes in and out. If i concentrate, it is clear but then blurs a little. I think that will just take time for my brain to adjust. Thanks again for all the info.
terrydavi

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:29 am

Be sure to let us know what you decide and your result.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It