onlays,inlays?

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

onlays,inlays?

Postby uscgast » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:40 am

I'm not really interested in any current refractive procedures using lasers, as an eye-doctor once told me I was not viable for lasik because I was suspect of future keratoconus. Either way, after doing a little research into what the future of refractive procedures might hold, I became cautiously optimistic about two procedures called corneal onlays and inlays. In particular, onlays, as they seem far less invasive, are 'reversible', should not produce many of the lasik-symptoms, and would not make me more susceptible to keratoconus. Basically, they remove an area of the epithelium, implant a lens, and let the epithelium grow over the lens and embed it. In theory, this sounds much more appetizing than laser procedures that involve cutting and burning off the cornea. Just from doing Google searches it appears they've been researching into these for at least a decade, and that they're doing clinical FDA trials for inlays for presbyopia currently. There's some company called adventus technology who's supposedly doing the R&D for onlays. I'm not sure how FDA approval is for ophthamalic trials, but it can take sometimes 8-10 years of trials before a new cancer drug is approved. Seeing onlays aren't even set to hit trials in the immediate future, I'm not that enthusiastic. I was wondering if any of you more informed people had any opinions on onlays/inlays? Any enthusiasm? And whether any of you know perhaps a little bit more about the current status of R&D, the research paper trail seems to be suspiciously void over the last couple years.

I'm reluctant to try anything that will mess with the temperament of my cornea, but ortho-k seems to have very positive reviews, maybe that will be an interval answer between now and corneal onlays, though im hesitant to muck with my eyes in a way that might affect the outcome of an onlay procedure, despite the ophthamologists assurances that it is 'completely reversible'.

Thanks
uscgast

Re: onlays,inlays?

Postby uscgast » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:32 am

After doing some more digging, I found out that the clinical trials for the inlays are due to be completed in 2012.
uscgast

Return to Thinking About It