lasik with cataracts

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

lasik with cataracts

Postby catbestland » Tue May 15, 2012 3:30 am

Hi,

I am new here and trying to figure out how the site works. I hope someone sees this post and can help me. I am 56 years old. About a year ago, my optomotrist told me I was a candidate for Lasik surgery and referred me to a local clinic. When I got there, I was told I had cataracts and was not a candidate until the cataracts were addressed. I went back to the optomotrist who confirmed that I did indeed have cataracts. ( I don't know why he did not see them before he referred me to the Lasik clinic.) He then referred me to an opthamologist who told me I had miniscule cataracts and should not have them removed. He told me my vision problems (all those associated with cataracts) were because I had clogged tear ducts and should put a warm compress on my eyes daily. I knew this would have no effect on my vision and I was right.

I have all the classic symptoms of cataracts. I am a wood carving artist and my livlihood depend on my vision. I cannot read or work more that 5 minutes because my vision becomes completely blurred. I cannot drive at night or even for long distances in the daylight. My glasses are so heavy ( and I have ultralight lenses ) that they make huge dents in my face and cause severe headaches.

It has been more than a year and no Dr. will help me with my vision problems. One says I cannot get Lasik because I have cataracts and another says they are too small to remove. I also have a slight lazy eye which causes my left eye not to work if my right eye is open so my right eye is strained all the more.

My question is; Can I have lasik surgery after I have cataracts removed? I get different answers from each Dr. One says you can only have one of the surgeries. The Opthamologist is saying both are required but my cataracts are too small. My eyesight was not great before I got cataracts so I wonder if cataract surgery will be enough. I appreciate any input on this matter.
catbestland

Re: lasik with cataracts

Postby LasikExpert » Thu May 17, 2012 3:03 am

What you need is Refractive Lens Exchange (RLE).

RLE is essentially cataract surgery for the purpose of reducing your need for corrective lenses. At your age you are already presbyopic and accustomed to wearing reading glassas or bi-focals. That would contine, but your distance vision would be fine without glasses.

You could also have your vision corrected into monovision with RLE to gain both distance and near vision.

You need to find an experienced Lasik surgeon who is also an experienced cataract surgeon.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It