wavefront guided intralasik for professional pilots

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

wavefront guided intralasik for professional pilots

Postby rmedina74 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:51 am

Scheduled to have intralasik to correct my nearsightness on Friday, October 13.

My auto refraction reading was:
OD: -7.50 +1.50 x 055

My soft contact lens prescription is as follows:
Right: SPH -5.00 CYL -1.25 AX 150
Left: SPH -6.00 CYL -1.25 AX 50

I'm a professional pilot (not military) and I'm concerned about night vision problems from halos, starbusts, etc.

My doctor uses the wavefront guided VISX laser to correct the refractive imperfections which is supposed to improve night vision outcomes. I have read the posts in this wonderful website and have emailed several questions to my surgeon regarding my results from the dialated exam. Specially, regarding my pupil measurements and its relation to the ablation zone. I should expect an answer by tomorrow.

What is your opinion? Again, thank you for your expertise and valuable knowledge. Grate website!!!!!!

P.S. The more I read, the more questions and nervous I become. However, I still have time to make a final decision.
rmedina74

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:36 am

Have you received a written assurance from your current employer that they will employ you after having had refractive surgery? There may be a restriction. Consider too any other potential employer's restrictions. You don't want to limit your possibilities in the future.

Your surgeon should have the low light naturally dilated (scotopic) pupil size information available. Although the Visx laser is able to provide a 6.5mm optical ablation zone (full treatment area), this zone is reduced to an oval shape to correct astigmatism. The actual optical ablation zone will likely be 5.5mm by 6.5mm. If your naturally dilated pupils are larger than 5.5mm, you may be considered at elevated risk for night vision problems. Hopefully you have read about Lasik Night Vision.

Remember that Lasik is about the convenience of a reduced need for corrective lenses. To achieve that convenience you will be required to accept some risk. By medical standards Lasik is safe and effective, but not for every patient or in every instance. Potential benefit v. potential risk.

If you are at or past age 40 you will probably require glasses for reading, so you would not be totally free of glasses, but could have a reduced need most of the time.

Being a little concerned about having microsurgery on your eyes probably means that you are making an informed decision. There is nothing wrong with making an informed decision.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby rmedina74 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:57 am

My doctor called me and said that my naturally dialated pupils were 5mm under dim light conditions. The ablation zone will be 6.5 to 7mm. He expects no vision problems once my eyes heal.

Feel comfortable with the information and my measurements so I have decided to proceed with intraLASIK.
rmedina74

Postby rmedina74 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:26 am

Had the procedure performed on Friday, October 13. It was truly amazing. Only 1 minute and 30 seconds per eye for the whole 2 step process. Truly a remarkable technological achievement.

On Saturday, October 14 at 0900 I had my follow up visit. 20/15 on right eye and 20/20 on left eye. However, I do still experience some haze and my vision is not 100% yet but that is to be expected since it has only been 3 days since surgery. Haven't suffer any pain, discomfort nor dry eyes. So far, I'm very pleased with my eyes' response post op.

The doctor was very satisfied with my vision acuity since my refractive errors were pretty large before surgery. He also said that halos will dissipate over time and anticipates no major night vision problems. He says that brown eyes tend to experience less halo effects than people with green or blue eyes (never heard that before).

I'm very satisfied with my decision to have had intralasik. Still in awe to wake up every morning and be able to see every detail around me.

Appreciate the wealth of information and knowledge shared in this forum. It truly contributed in making an educated decision.

P.S. Never, ever go for the cheapest bidder. It's your eyes we're talking about here. Look for an experience and reputable surgeon. That is the bottom line.
rmedina74

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:41 am

I'm delighted to hear of your good result. Let's hope that with healing all other problems are resolved.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It