Choosing a cerified surgeon-or not

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Choosing a cerified surgeon-or not

Postby Steve » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:04 pm

I am close to deciding to get wavefront guided LASIK and have chosen a particular company based on two referals by friends. Both friends are recommending one doctor in particular (Dr. D). However, Dr. L also supports this facility and is CRSQA certified, whereas Dr. D is not.

I feel like I want to use Dr. D, based on the results of two, unrelated friends. (Her bio sounds impressive, but I am not used to reading medical bio's)But the engineer in me says to go to the certified surgeon (assuming he is taking patients, which I haven't confirmed).

I realize there is no right or wrong answer here, but I would welcome the opinions of anyone who has given this same procedure much thought.

Thanks in advance.
Steve
Steve

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:01 am

Thanks for the specific detail Steve. It is necessary to answer your post completely, but as a matter of policy I've redacted the identifying information. Although I'll be answering with your specific situation in mind, the answer will apply to anyone in a similar situation.

Friends are a great way to learn about the experience of Lasik, but are a dreadful way to select a surgeon. Every person is unique. You would not put in your friends' contacts and expect to see well. Equally you cannot rely on the outcome of your friends (good or bad) as indicative of the probability of you getting the same outcome. Friends can tell you about their personal experience and their opinion of the manner and means of the doctor and staff, but try not to extrapolate that into what is best for you.

I have a built-in bias for a surgeon who is certified by our organization because we have directly evaluated that surgeon's patients' outcomes. For this reason Dr. L tops my list.

Having said that, I know Dr. D, she has a remarkable reputation in the ophthalmic community, and Dr. L would not have her as a part of the surgical team at his facility if she was less than excellent.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It