PRK - locally or several states away??

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

PRK - locally or several states away??

Postby candcwelch » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:28 am

We are planning to move down to Ecuador to serve as missionaries in an orphanage. Seeing that they get 24 feet of rain a year, I would like to be able to be free of my glasses. I had a consult here in town and was told I was a canidate for PRK (corneal thickness right on the line for being a lasik canidate). There is a place several states away that offered to provide the service for free (their normal fee is $4000) seeing that we are missionaries.
The money is not a huge deal - the important part is getting a good result. Both places use the Custom Cornea Ladarvision 4000. The doctor several states away has tons of experience, while the doctor locally graduated a couple of years ago, but spent a year doing only corneal surgery and PRK - I REALLY like her and trust her.

The rate of 20/20 vision for the place several states away is 99.2%. Locally their rate is 92% see 20/20 or better - but they see older patients here, so they said they thought their rate for people with my prescription and age (33) had over a 99% chance of seeing 20/20.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Celeste
candcwelch

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:37 am

A rock and a hard place? Perhaps you can do both.

I would approach the local doctor and explain that you have the opportunity to have surgery done by the out-of-town surgeon for free, but that you need the comanagment services of a skilled doctor for your preoperative and postoperative care. Your local doctor may charge you, but you do need a local resource for postoperative care - especially with PRK.

If the out-of-town doctor is well known in the ophthalmic community (clincal advisor, published, etc.) then the local doctor should jump at the chance to coordinate care.

Kudos to you and yours for volunteering in Ecuador. While attending a medical conference recently I happend to share a cab ride with an ophthalmic surgeon from Ecuador who works with a foundation hospital providing cataract surgery. The challenges there are daunting.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby candcwelch » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:48 am

Thank you for your quick reply. The doctor here [] is willing to work with [the doctor] in Dayton Ohio. My main question though is would it benefit my eye sight to see [the Dayton doctor] verses my local doctor?

The inconvinience of flying up there (we have 4 children of our own under 9 years old - one with an incurable brain tumor) sort of makes the money difference a non-issue.

Actually, Ecuador seems like a dream opportunity - it must be God, because everyone else we talk with says they would not want to go, yet we all really want to. My husband just came back from a visit and we are all going back down in 3 weeks.

Thank you for your help.
Celeste
candcwelch

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:11 am

You seem to have as much against traveling to the doctor with more experience as you have for traveling to the doctor with more experience, but you said something that makes all the difference in the world.

Do not expect to have good clear vision three weeks after PRK. It is possible, but you cannot rely on that fast of vision recovery. Furthermore, if there are any complications - even minor - you may not have the proper resources available where you will be in Ecuador.

Only have surgery now if you are totally willing to completely cancel your trip if something goes wrong. Othewise, glasses and humid weather are much better than eye problems or poor vision.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Re: PRK - locally or several states away??

Postby richardroseland » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:02 am

Can you tell me who are the two doctors who were willing to do your surgery for free??? We are missionaries in Ecuador and I am looking at possibly having Lasik over the summer. Please let me know.
richardroseland

Return to Thinking About It