Do I need to do something for my "dry eye" before

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Do I need to do something for my "dry eye" before

Postby lance » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:53 am

During my consulation session with the doctor, I was told my eye is kind of dry. I never felt dry eye myself and I never use artificial tear regularly.

I understand Lasik migth cause more dry eye problem. I would like to check if I need to do something for my dry eye (even though I haven't felt about the dryness) before the Lasik surgery.

Also I was told by the doctor that All laser Lasik will reduce my chance to have more dry eye problem comparing to traditional blade method. But from this forum I learned that there is not too much difference between all laser lasik and regular lasik (with blade).

Is the all laser lasik a better choice for my dry eye situation?

Thanks a lot!
lance

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:26 am

There is conflicting data, but many doctors believe that a thinner flap is less likely to induce long-term dry eye. How that thinner flap is made is not really the issue. I know of no study that indicates a flap made with a femtosecond laser has a lower incidence of dry eye than a flap of equal thickness made with a mechanical microkeratome. I doubt your doctor was referring to laser v. blade specifically, but was probably referring to the perceived advantages of a thinner flap. You should ask the doctor.

Any pre-existing dry eye should be treated and managed before surgery.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It