floaters and lasik

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

floaters and lasik

Postby GeneralPatientInquiry » Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:02 am

i am considering to have laser treatment. I have read a lot of literature about all available treatments. What I am concerned about is that I have floaters in my vision...I have had them for many years (even though I am relatively young for this) they have always been constant in shape and numbers and 99% of the time I don't even notice them as I am used to them.

None of the docotors I have prevoiuly visited for regular check ups have ever brought this to my attention, so I guess they have not considered it a problem, but would this be a deterrant for me to have laser treatment....I have read that in this cases is better to have LASEK than LASIK, so it be possible to have satisfactory results with LASEK or would i have higher risks than normal patients??
Thak you very much
This post is a reprint of a previously requested inquiry received by USAEyes.org via email.
GeneralPatientInquiry

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:25 am

Lasik and IntraLasik require a significant increase of the pressure inside the eye for a brief time. This process may (but does not always) stir up floaters and/or cause more. Epi-Lasik will also increase the pressure inside the eye, but somewhat less than Lasik and IntraLasik.

Your refractive error is within the accepted treatment range for PRK or its cousin LASEK. These surface ablation techniques do not require the large increase in intraocular pressure. You may want to investigate if PRK or LASEK would be appropriate.

You may want to read:

Floaters and Lasik
Detailed Lasik Description
Detailed LASEK Description
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin