concerned about procedure

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

concerned about procedure

Postby john » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:31 pm

Hi, I would like to know if anyone has had the procedure who as real issues with anything (ie contact lenses) touching there eye ball. My eye will automatically close when anything gets close to it. Will this be an issue (in my head it already is) in reality when the procedure is done? Do they clamp your eyelid open so it can't possibly close? Any feed back would be appreciated. thanks
john

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:21 am

A device that holds open your eye lids (speculum) is used during the surgery and your eye will be totally numb. I personally had PRK and I’m a major wimp when it comes to pain. I felt nothing during the surgery.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Re: concerned about procedure

Postby Button1 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:25 pm

john wrote:Hi, I would like to know if anyone has had the procedure who as real issues with anything (ie contact lenses) touching there eye ball. My eye will automatically close when anything gets close to it. Will this be an issue (in my head it already is) in reality when the procedure is done? Do they clamp your eyelid open so it can't possibly close? Any feed back would be appreciated. thanks

I had LASIK done in August and when I told people I was going to have it done they laughed because I am known for being very squeamish when it comes to my eyes. I couldn't wear contacts for that reason...I screamed in the doctors office when he tried to put them in. There is a clamp holding your eye open but it was odd that I felt like I could blink anyway (although I obviously could not.) I didn't even feel when he used the little brush to flatten out the flap. I say try it, it really wasn't anything at all.
Button1

Re: concerned about procedure

Postby maria22 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:23 am

Button1 wrote: There is a clamp holding your eye open but it was odd that I felt like I could blink anyway (although I obviously could not.) I didn't even feel when he used the little brush to flatten out the flap. I say try it, it really wasn't anything at all.

I was really worried about the blinking part, as well. But it really did feel like I was blinking with both eyes throughout the procedure.
The worst part for me was having the suction ring put in, I guess my eyes are kind of small so I felt a lot of pressure.
I did feel the cutting of the flap, but there was no pain and it only took 13 seconds.
I didn't feel the laser at all, and everything was over very quickly.
I found the whole procedure less frightening than a visit to the dentist, there is really nothing to be afraid about. And it was really worth it in the end!
maria22

Return to Thinking About It