19 years old

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

19 years old

Postby redeyes » Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:04 am

Hello, I am 19 and have needed glasses since about nine. I am considering receiving the treatment, yet the drawback is my age. Why is age an issue? What will happen if my eyes change? Can eyes change anyway (what do they do, grow?) And what will happen if my prescription (which for the record has been consistent, changes?

I know I bring forth many questions, but a response to all would be VERY, VERY appreciated.

ty

-Dan
redeyes

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:28 pm

If your prescription has been stable for more than two years, then your age should not be an issue.

Eyes will change with surgery at the same rate they would have changed without surgery. The concern is if your eyes have not stabilized. You could have surgery to resolve your current refractive error, but if your eyes continue to change you would probably need glasses or need to consider additional surgery later.

I recommend that your doctor provided both a manifest refraction (which is better, one or two?) plus a cycloplegic refraction. The cycloplegic refraction will determine your prescription without your eyes being able to change focus. This may give a better idea of the stability of your eyes.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It